chocolate advent calender all gone! should i be worried??

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by blackjack, Oct 29, 2013.

1. blackjack

blackjack Registered Users

hi all,

ack managed to get hold of a full advent calendar today and has eaten all 25 squares, it was that cheapy chocolate from kinnerton, the box says its got 60g of chocolate in.

it was a few hours ago now, hes had his tea since and has pooped (normal consistency)

should i do anything/look for anything in particular or will it not hurt him? hes a big boy over 32kg

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: chocolate advent calender all gone! should i be worried??

Oh no!my inexperienced answer is ring the vet.....chocolate is toxic but the amount measured against their weight is a factor .....better safe than sorry,let us know how he goes.....festive season is approaching so I bet there will be more of the same before we are through it,we can all learn something.really hope he's ok ...he will be I'm sure ,just might be a bit poorly :( x

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

In theory , a larger dog can tollerate chocolate better than a small one, depending on the ammount of course , some dogs are simply not affected at all . I understand that one of the first signs of problems is hyper activity , but to be honest , I think it best to call your Vet and ask their advice, for peace of mind, hoping he is alright, please let us know x

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Riley ate some Easter egg and I called the vet....they asked how much Riley weighs and what type of chocolate it was. They have some kind of scale so I would recommend calling so they can help you assess. They'll also tell you what to look for.

Hope he's ok :)

5. blackjack

have called the vets, now waiting for hubby to get home so we can take jack to be checked over, however they think we may have lost the opportunity to make him sick with charcoal as im not sure at what point he got hold of the chocolate,

i wonder if the vets will take payment in chocolate money??? ;)

6. blackjack

just got back, hes fine! the vet did some calculations based on his weight 32.25kg and the 60g of milk choc he had eaten and he will be fine!

phew -however we did get there just as puppy school arrived and jack was only on lead not halti and was pulling me everywhere! had to ask to go and wait in a room so he couldnt see the other dogs

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thanks for letting us know, thats really great news , so very pleased :) :) :)

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Good news :D

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good to hear :)

The cheaper the chocolate the weaker the effect. My old Lab once stole four Kinder Surprise at a friend's house and carefully unwrapped them and ate the chocolate (didn't go the next step to assemble the toy inside though....) and on another occasion he was randomly handed (and instantly wolfed down) an entire milk chocolate bar by a Japanese exchange student at a protest rally. On both occasions I had a heart attack but both times he was fine....

Did the vet say how much would have been a dangerous quantity?

10. blackjack

the best bit was it was a free consultation thank goodness!

the vet said that he'd have to eat a massive quantity of the cheap chocolate to do any damage.

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Lucky Jack! My Dad's neighbour has a pup - last week pup broke into the stores for their kid's birthday party - scoffed the chocolate and needed the full works - £750 vet's bill. He was fine, thankfully, but it was an expensive party!

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3091.msg32772#msg32772 date=1383078781]
    Lucky Jack! My Dad's neighbour has a pup - last week pup broke into the stores for their kid's birthday party - scoffed the chocolate and needed the full works - £750 vet's bill. He was fine, thankfully, but it was an expensive party!
    [/quote]
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Glad the pup was fine.
    I was in a right panic back in February when the darling doggie pinched a small box with choccie hearts in it. Luckily there wasn't much actual chocolate in them either. I think that the dark choc high in cocoa solids is the really dangerous one - the one that boosts our serotonin levels and makes us all feel happy 8)
    We feel MUCH happier when we get to eat it rather than the dogs.....

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Toxic stuff, such a worry.

I noticed today that my neighbour's grape vine has grown over the wall and draped itself very artfully over a small tree in my garden. Big bunches of dark grapes dripping down - looks fab! All far too high up for Charlie to reach and I reckon asking the chap who helps with the garden to remove it now will result in many grapes at ground level behind the shrubs (for inquisitive puppy to find). I reckon best they wither on the vine now, and I'll have it cut back in spring. Shame, really, it does look good...

14. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hmmm...Julie I thought my grapes were too high for Simba to get at too....found plenty of evidence that they weren't....on the plus side I now know he seems to be immune to the toxicity in grapes, thankfully....

Jen, glad your pup is okay!! It is definitely the amount and the concentration of chocolate that is the worry.... And especially don't ever leave the cocoa powder out....

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Lisa link=topic=3091.msg32852#msg32852 date=1383147130]
    Hmmm...Julie I thought my grapes were too high for Simba to get at too....found plenty of evidence that they weren't....on the plus side I now know he seems to be immune to the toxicity in grapes, thankfully....

[/quote]

They are really high - on top of a tree really. But I saw one on the ground today, so I guess they fall off. Have called the gardener back to cut it down but then will have to go out and crawl round the bushes to check they have cleared up properly. ::)