Choosing a puppy at 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Starting Again, May 16, 2017.

1. Starting Again

Starting Again Registered Users

I unexpectedly and suddenly lost my adored lab of 9 years old in February who I also trained as a registered therapy dog. I've decided to start again and I've put a deposit on a chocolate lab puppy of whom I have the first choice of the females. The breeder has asked that I choose the puppy when they are 3 weeks old. I am concerned that because they will just be starting to toddle about and just beginning to show some individuality that I won't be able to choose the one that will best fit our lifestyle. I hope to use her as a therapy dog with both elderly and children in nursing homes, hospitals, schools, etc. She'll also be a family pet to a modestly active and recently retired couple (hiking, daily walks, fetch, swimming ...)

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum! So sorry you lost your dear friend...

I agree, it will be very difficult to choose a puppy at three weeks old, it will just be down to whichever one you like best on the day! The breeder of my puppy selected which pup would go to which family herself (we were allowed to express a preference!) - which I think is a much better solution, as the breeder knows the puppies much better than a prospective buyer.

MF likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello @Starting Again and welcome to the forum.

As for your question, as an outsider, you really can't tell much about the finished article by looking at a very young puppy, even at 8 weeks of age, which is when I assume you'll be bringing your puppy home. Your best indication is looking at the temperament of the parents; if you have chosen a litter with a good sire and dam (calm, confident and biddable through genetics rather than through suppression) then you have a high chance of having a calm dog yourself. I would always look, above all else, for confidence in the dogs; no anxiety when being left, no issues around other dogs of any size or breed, no noise sensitivity. This may give you a more rambunctious puppy and adolescent, but the final dog will have more chance of bring able to cope around these sorts of stimuli. I say this from the experience of having two anxious adult Labradors and one confident 6-month-old puppy.

To be perfectly honest, I'd be a little concerned in your situation. Breeders who are breeding dogs that are going to go on to do jobs (of whatever description) generally do the choosing themselves, as they spend so much more time with the puppies. I didn't know until 7 weeks which puppy was to be mine. In that litter, there were puppies going to show homes, to be gun dogs, one to be a service dog and the rest pets (I wanted a pup that could do some showing and train as a gun dog, too). The breeder chose which was most suitable for each new home, and I believe that's how it should be when you are after something specific. If your breeder isn't doing this, then it may be worth considering that it's not the right litter to be choosing something as important as a future service dog from.

Good luck and I hope you hang around to let us know how you get on.

4. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

I'm onboard with snowbunny. Quite suprised that the breeder expects someone to choose a puppy at 3 weeks, which is no real choice at all.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome from me, Hattie 9 years and our rescue boy Charlie 6 years.

Strange 3 weeks. I am with @snowbunny, my next puppy I will ask the breeder to select for my specific training requirements which will also include more therapy work as I do with my current girl Hattie. Very rewarding work :) x

6. Starting Again

Thank you to all!! Not sure what I'll do at this point. I'm leaning toward asking the breeder to hold my pick until at least 6 weeks. If she's not willing to do this then I may walk away. There are many reputable breeders and as much as I'm excited about a new puppy, I don't want to make a decision that I'll regret for years to come. Any suggestions for central Ohio?

Emily_BabbelHund and MF like this.
  7. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

You pick one and put a green collor on it it. Someone comes along 3 weeks later and likes the one you selected and a few dollars later the collars gets switched. Three weeks is too young. Strange things happen.

8. Starting Again

Contacted the breeder to let them know that I thought 3 weeks was too early to choose. She was very understanding, considerate and pleasant. She wished me well in my search for a new puppy and said she would put the refund of my deposit in the mail that afternoon.

charlie likes this.
  9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Ah, I'm sorry you've been disappointed, but glad the breeder was understanding. Good luck in your search for your perfect special puppy. Do let us know how you get on.

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh how disappointing :( Good luck with your such for a new puppy xx

11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Its a shame, but the right puppy is out there for you , for you to pick out when the time is right for you and the pup , good luck x

12. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Here most breeders seem to wait until 7 weeks or so. Usually the new owners get to choose in the order they made their deposit. Both times we got pups, we wanted to a Choc. F. and had tow or three pups to chose from. Often folks don't know which pups are still going to be available until the day they go to pick theirs up.

I don't see how anyone could chose at 3 weeks. Even at 7 or 8 it is a crap shoot, though with Labs the odds are pretty good that you will get a good dog. We certainly did.

13. Starting Again

We've found a beautiful yellow lab puppy that we brought to her forever home last Thursday 5/25/17. I guess it has been a long time since I started with a puppy. I had forgotten how much sound can come from those little lungs! :)

14. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Great news...but..ehem....where are the photos? :D:D

Emily_BabbelHund and snowbunny like this.
  15. Starting Again

Does anyone know about NuVet supplements? The breeder has required it as a part of their health guarantee. From what I've researched, it has not been approved by the FDA and has not been shown to have any positive results in the dog's health. It also appears to provide heavy kickbacks to the breeders.

16. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Dear me! For what I can see you are buying an untested vitamin supplement? For a year? Er no...

Personally as long as the pup is from health-tested parents, and and on quality diet, they don't need supplements. Supplements cannot replace a sensible and structured approach to your pups health. By that I mean, appropriate diet for a large breed puppy to enable slow and steady bone growth, and a careful exercise regime to accommodate young bones and muscles.

I would make sure your puppy is well insured, good life time cover I think is essential, but that is just my opinion.

Consider what value is the health guarantee anyway? Explore what the guarantee covers, why do they have it?