Cleaning with a puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Anja, Apr 29, 2023.

1. Anja

Anja Registered Users

Hi everyone! I have a 14 week old black lab named Nox. He is a pretty sweet boy, and of course a typical lab puppy - full of energy and life

He does get pretty bitty at times, and has a special thing for my broom and cordless vacuum. He keeps jumping and bitting them to the point I have to put him in his crate so I can clean the floor.

Does anybody have any idea if I could train him to be more calm when I clean? Or is he just too young and he will grow out of it eventually?

Hope you have a great day,
    Anja

2. Monty's human

Monty's human Registered Users

Hi, I have a 15 week old yellow lab named Monty. I'm a first time dog owner and had similar issues with a broom and vacuum cleaner. I got him used to both separately - firstly without using them. So I put the broom in the room - he barked and lunged at it. I clicked and rewarded with kibble when he was quiet. Then built up to holding the broom, then moving it - clicking and rewarding him for not barking/lunging. I did the same with the vacuum, but in 2 stages - firstly getting him used to the vacuum cleaner and moving it without the sound on, then the sound without movement, then both together. It's still a work in progress but he's getting better. When he's worked up and tired he's worse, so I tend to crate him as he's over threshold and is likely to forget all his training.

3. Anja

Anja Registered Users

Hi @Monty's human ! Thank you so much for your answer. I'm going to try to gradually expose Nox to broom and vacuum, following your advice. And I'll just put him in his crate when I clean until he learns to tolerate them :)