Click at distance

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by Jen, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I was just re reading the 'Clicker training what's it all about' article just to re fresh my memory.

In the section 'what is the clicker for' it mentions 'The negative effect of any gap between an action and it's consequence is the bane of the animal trainers life. Especially when training animals to carry out actions at a distance, or where they cannot be reached to reward them the instant they 'get it right'. The clicker solves this problem with a neat trick.'

I was wondering then how far away will the clicker work?

For example if I was training my dog not to bark at people passing the bottom of the garden. The dog is at the bottom I'm at the top approx 25 metres away. Somebody passes the dog doesn't bark. Is it worth clicking that behaviour, will the click work at that distance ( obviously followed by treat when I got down there )

Or for example stop whistle practise. Same scenario blow whistle dog sits at distance can the clicker be used to say good job well done or is it too far ? ???

Thanks for any help

Jen

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Click at distance

This is a little clip of Murffi ambling along and at about 25 meters I blow the stop whistle, followed by the click, which you can hear in the video. The click always ends the exercise, so Murffi hears the click and comes racing back for his treat. I think that sort of distance is not a problem for a clicker savvy dog, unless there is a lot of background noise.
    The first part of your question regarding clicking for not barking at passers by is probably a bit trickier, not because of the distance but you need to be in the garden with your dogs at all times to capture and reward the behaviour you want.

http://youtu.be/c9HtkNkUXMw

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Murffi. :*

Must get more systematic about my stop whistle training...alway so much to do!

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Yup our list is long and any video of Heidruns generally adds to it (but usually with a clever exercise).
    We clearly need two dogs in order to practice properly ;) ;) ;)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3399.msg37104#msg37104 date=1385214439]
    Yup our list is long and any video of Heidruns generally adds to it (but usually with a clever exercise).
    [/quote]

I know, not enough time for one! But met a super cocker called Maggie on the common this morning. oH thought she was fab. :)

6. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Thank you Heidrun that's great. :D

The barking at people walking past was just as an example they arent too bad really. Although they are never out without me.

It was the stop whistle I was more interested in. Ive been C&T doing the stop at heel exercises but wasn't sure if I could C&T the stop at distance so thanks for the vid.

Having said that I'm still stuck at the stop at heel so distance is some time off I think. As usual I'm preemting myself but good to be prepared. ;)

Murffi always looks so happy it makes me smile watching him do his thing.

Jen

Ps . If I ever get mine to do what murffi did in the video I will post a vid of it and one of me jumping up and down with excitement and amazement actually I'll of probably fainted with shock. ;D

Pps. I'm not very good at estimating length our garden is more like 50 metres long but 25 wide so I'll work on that distance.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=3399.msg37091#msg37091 date=1385210227]
    This is a little clip of Murffi ambling along and at about 25 meters I blow the stop whistle, followed by the click, which you can hear in the video. The click always ends the exercise, so Murffi hears the click and comes racing back for his treat. I think that sort of distance is not a problem for a clicker savvy dog, unless there is a lot of background noise.
    The first part of your question regarding clicking for not barking at passers by is probably a bit trickier, not because of the distance but you need to be in the garden with your dogs at all times to capture and reward the behaviour you want.

http://youtu.be/c9HtkNkUXMw
    [/quote]

Heidrun, I am confused as to why don't you don't recall Murffi to whistle, doesn't he get confused having clicker and whistle?

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3399.msg37109#msg37109 date=1385215424]
    [quote author=bbrown link=topic=3399.msg37104#msg37104 date=1385214439]
    [/quote]

I know, not enough time for one! But met a super cocker called Maggie on the common this morning. oH thought she was fab. :)
    [/quote]

Good to see 'Operation Duo' is stilly going strong in your 2 households! ;D

9. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Helen, the click from the clicker is not a command like a pip on a whistle. It is an event marker that marks the exact moment when the behaviour you want to see happens. It also ends that behaviour, that's why Murffi got up and came running to me, he knows that a click equals a treat and he came to get his treat. I hope that makes sense.

10. Dexter

Dex is still at my side on his stop whistle,i can move forward now without a pause ....need to get a little jog on now and still leave him behind ..I'm on awe at the speed murfis bum hits the floor....Dexter looks like a right dawdler compared ,not the end of the world as we are really just playing with it to keep him occupied ....but great to see to inspire us!thanks as always Heidrun,hope every day you are feeling better and better x

11. bbrown

That's spaniels they even sit down at a hundred miles an hour ;D

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=3399.msg37127#msg37127 date=1385219999]
    Dex is still at my side on his stop whistle,i can move forward now without a pause ....need to get a little jog on now and still leave him behind ..I'm on awe at the speed murfis bum hits the floor....Dexter looks like a right dawdler compared ,not the end of the world as we are really just playing with it to keep him occupied ....but great to see to inspire us!thanks as always Heidrun,hope every day you are feeling better and better x
    [/quote]

Two dawdlers here too, can't seem to speed up bum on ground action ::)

Thanks Heidrun as always, so long as Murffi gets it that's all that counts. I'm afraid that clicker work is not for me, too worried about marking the wrong thing and causing myself even more work ::)

13. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Possible break through !!!!

After watching the video of murffi I decided my stop whistle command wasn't right. It was more of a piiip than a peeeeep.

This afternoon I changed the whistle command and omg both of them sat so much quicker straight away. Scott who needed to improve the most on his sit speed was like a different dog!!!!

It was possibly a fluke I'll see what happens tomorrow but at least we've ended today with what looks like progress. We might get there yet. ;)

14. Dexter

Jen all my pips try to mimic Heidrun!although I do 5 for recall because that was what the Total Recall says ,I think Heidrun does 3? I could be wrong though ....glad you've moved forward,it's great when you get a little bit further...do you want to work your 2 or are you training for your own interest and to keep them occupied? X

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

WGT#1 told me my stop whistle had to be a good long loud peeeeeep! WGT#2 told me a soft short pip is enough when he is close, and I was to save the foghorn impression for when he was far away. So I guess people do it very differently...

16. Jen

Jen Registered Users

If I'm being realistic I'm training for my own interest and to keep them occupied.

Since I started clicker training and focused on training properly they've come on so much. Their behaviour over all seems to have improved. I guess it's because they are having to use their brain and work for the click. It certainly keeps their attention and keeps them focused on what we are doing.

I also find it much more enjoyable as I'm not having to correct them all the time. If they dont do it or get distracted no click and we go back a step then try again.

I wish I'd known to start clicker training when they were pups but it was something I'd never thought about who knows how far along they could've been. Still better late than never.

It would be nice to think one day they could work that's what they were bred for but with their nervous disposition I doubt it. ::)

Jen

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's lovely to hear how you are enjoying training and how they are coming along!

18. Dexter

Jen you've made amazing progress with them,it's really satisfying when you see them develop.
    Dex was only ever going to be a pet but I feel a responsibility to the heritage he was bred for.....even though I am absolutely inept at everything....in the right hands Dexter would have been a great working dog....he's got amazing strength,stamina and agility but he is isn't hyper ......generally he's calm,I train what I can because I want him to be mentally stimulated as well as physically fit.....what we can do is coming into its own now as the off lead portion of our walks in the park are becoming nothing more than a cat hunt if he hasn't got other things to think about...

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3399.msg37151#msg37151 date=1385226236]
    WGT#1 told me my stop whistle had to be a good long loud peeeeeep! WGT#2 told me a soft short pip is enough when he is close, and I was to save the foghorn impression for when he was far away. So I guess people do it very differently...
    [/quote]

That's what Heidrun recommends, so we do that too. Heavens above did I get something right, what's the world coming too ;D

20. bbrown

I keep my whistle the same length but I blow it quietly when Riley is close and loud when he's far away or when he's gone slightly deaf in excitement ::)