Clicker expo

Discussion in 'Events' started by JulieT, Jan 21, 2015.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

2. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Re: Clicker expo

Ooh, ooh! Is that at the Kennel Club place do you know? Mmm, liking the date....the weekend might be the start of half term....will be checking tomorrow!

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm not sure....it's a hotel, I think. Like a conference centre.

There is a long list of rules about taking your dog, and how well behaved they need to be staying in a hotel eg they need to sit quietly under your chair at lunch etc. I closed my eyes while I was reading bits of it. ::) it'll be FINE! Eeek! ;D ;D ;D

4. Merla

Merla Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=9601.msg138690#msg138690 date=1421879437]
    There is a long list of rules about taking your dog, and how well behaved they need to be staying in a hotel eg they need to sit quietly under your chair at lunch etc.?..........
    [/quote]

Eeeeeeewwwwww, okaaaay...... *short pause while imagines possible scenarios*...........;D ;D ;D

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yeah.... ;D ;D ;D

The thing is, if I waited for my dog to meet the "standards" for courses, I'd never go on anything. And when I get there, we are rarely the worst. I mean, we have our moments of disgrace, but we kinda get by.

I reckon it's like being asked if you speak (eg) French in a job interview. The honest answer is "yes if you mean can I ask for a table for two" but you say, while looking falsely modest to give the impression you're really very good, "oh, I get by, you know".

So when I book, I'm going to sound confident and say me and my dog will get by in a conference centre for three days...and we probably will. With the help of a shed load of roast chicken!

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I have a feeling your dog will be one the best trained dogs there, Julie. I hope you get in! Keep us posted...

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

And if he doesn't you take him out, write about it on here and we all sympathise and laugh ;D

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh! I saw this post yesterday and thought there was no way it would be on a date we could make it, but we're often in the UK around then because my dad's birthday is on 28th!

*sensible head on* The pups will still be too young for this year's event - the thought of taking two teenagers there EEEEEK! - but it's one to keep in mind for 2016 :)

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=9601.msg138728#msg138728 date=1421914199]
    And if he doesn't you take him out, write about it on here and we all sympathise and laugh ;D
    [/quote]

Exactly! There is a limit as to how bad it can be. ;D ;D ;D

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Right, registration opens tomorrow. So deciding now what to try to book.

Charlie is coming. I'm not going if Charlie can't come with me. It'll be an experience.

One thing I'm looking at is what I dare book in terms of "foundation", "intermediate" and "advanced". I know a lot of the foundation and intermediate theory, so not so interested in those sessions. But dare not book Charlie into a matching "advanced" dog group even though I'd like to go to some of the advanced lectures. But I reckon I might risk "intermediate"? It's not until October, we are bound to have made a bit more progress before then, and the foundation groups look a bit basic....so I'll take a chance, I think.

He is a bit better around other dogs inside than outside. He thinks inside is a bit boring (people don't tend to throw things to be fetched) so he is often calmer.

11. bbrown

Has Helen been? Or anyone else that trains with her? They could maybe give you a steer on what would be the right level....

I reckon you'll be fine though with so much planning and training time ;D

Exciting!!!!

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

October is ages away. Plenty of time :)

Sounds like lots of fun!

13. TinaM

TinaM Registered Users

I have been to Clicker Expo here in the states twice (but without a dog as my dog then was very dog reactive). My father took his yellow lab and we had a great time! He even let me use her in a working lab. I will share with you that if you have done beginner clicker training with your dog then you will want to go to intermediate working sessions. But some of the beginner sessions are excellent and the speakers are top notch! So you may go to those based on your interests etc...
    I remember how long we took to pick our sessions! It is so much fun and exhausting at the same time. I did well without a dog while watching others and taking notes. My father on the other hand really liked just working with his dog and talking to everyone. Everyone learns differently though. You just have to remember that if you have your pup with you, you may have to excuse yourself to get your pup a break. They cram loads of info into three days. Enjoy, and I look forward to hearing what you think about it.

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Tina!

I absolutely want to take my dog, I spend too long working, so I try to make everything that's not work include him. He'll love it (he's the kind of dog that loves everything, but in a somewhat over excited way... ;D ;D ;D). He is not reactive to other dogs, he's just a little over enthusiastic to say hello. He is quiet though, he doesn't bark, which will be good for the lectures! And he settles on his mat ok after a bit even when it's super exciting, plus he's generally ok-ish inside (spaniels hunting in a field are a different matter altogether though ::) ).

I'll get up super early to make sure he gets a good walk, and can skip the social bits, coffee and lunch to walk him. Plus, he'll settle without a sound in a hotel room in his travel crate, so I can do a few lectures without him (although if he's settling ok, I'll take him to the lectures too).

Yes, I'll go for intermediate. I'm sure I'd learn stuff in the foundation sessions, but more improving than new stuff - eg one session is on loose lead walking, which of course could be better, but I don't feel in need of any techniques.

Wish me luck and for fast broadband speed to book tomorrow!

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh, just found the guidance....I reckon intermediate will be ok...I've got several solid cues properly done, proofed and finished.

[​IMG]

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would say you are more at the Advanced level, Julie, based on that description.

17. bbrown

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=9601.msg147048#msg147048 date=1425354811]
    I would say you are more at the Advanced level, Julie, based on that description.
    [/quote]

Me too!!

18. TinaM

TinaM Registered Users

Julie,
    So excited for you. It sounds like you are both prepared and will have a great time. I still communicate with people that I met at clicker expo in Lexington. Have a great time and keep us posted.
    Which learning labs did you sign up for?

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks all!

Yay! Yay! Yay!

I got my ticket and 4 handler with dog places at learning labs. So Charlie will be busy! Not too much sitting around for him at all. There will be a few hours when he has to sit in lectures, but I'll give him lots of good walks - the hotel has 17 acres and they say dogs can be exercised in the grounds. So I'll walk him before the sessions, during coffee and lunch and so on. Plus he'll be in the learning labs for 8 hours over 3 days. So lots for him to do.

Was so funny, I couldn't get away from work so explained to my colleagues what I was trying to do and 3 of us tried to register dead on 7pm - the person on the ipad with a mobile connection got through first, plus had a paypal account and had booked and paid for my stuff by 7.03pm! The people (including me) going via the work network didn't, presumably because the web page wasn't refreshing fast enough through the server.

Anyway, I got an early bird discount, all the learning labs that I wanted. In the end, I took the ones that said "all levels" because some of these say that the more advanced your dog, the more of the exercises you could take part in. So, that's good. That means I'll be able to do more the better Charlie is in that environment. After all, he's never been training in a conference centre hotel with an audience before!

I'm going to the following lectures:

Trick & Treat: Deconstructing Complex Behaviours
    Emily Larlham

It’s a Good Fit! Operant & Classical Conditioning
    Kathy Sdao

Parameters of Premack
    Kathy Sdao

The Sound of Silence: Accessing the Power of the Withheld Click
    Michele Pouliot

Plus various panel discussions. And booked the following hands on learning labs with Charlie:

Brush Up Your Basics: Clean Training Skills
    Kay Laurence

Participant Notes:Dogs should be comfortable in a group or social setting and be familiar with a clicker.

As much as we try not to, we often let our training habits slip as we let our enthusiasm override good discipline. We reach for the reinforcer a little too soon, and that clever dog we have been nurturing starts to watch our hands instead of focus on their learning tasks. We hold our breath or take a little gasp at the wrong moment instead of letting the clicker do the job.

This Lab will look at the small errors that have a big impact on our learners. We can unintentionally repeat those small infringements until they become major issues. Thankfully, we can set up some really great techniques that teach us how to maintain clean training. Clean cues, clean behaviours, crystal clean reinforcement: the path to exquisite training.

Course Type: Learning Lab
    Experience Level: All Levels

Super Friendly to Super Cool: Teaching Impulse Control
    Michele Pouliot

Participant notes: In this 90-minute Learning Lab we will have approximately eight dog/handler teams. Dogs should already understand the click/treat relationship and should be able to work in the same room as other dogs. Handlers and dogs should have previous clicker training experience. You may participate with your dog or you may attend as an observer. Observers should not bring their dogs to the Lab.

Does your "social butterfly" dog want to greet absolutely everybody? Is he overly friendly, jumping up on any human that looks at him, or running up to other dogs? Is he unable to contain his emotions when someone is talking to him or petting him? There is help for you! Guide Dogs for the Blind Research & Development Director Michele Pouliot demonstrates cutting-edge techniques her organization is using to create happy, friendly dogs that are also in control.

Michele will teach participants effective setups for learning, criteria-raising, how to turn dogs' impulses into cues for desired behavior, and even how to use platform tools to help your dog with impulse control. Not only are these valuable techniques for developing good canine manners, but impulse control is a must for working dogs and for dogs that compete in sports.

This small-group Learning Lab has a maximum of eight participants so you will get lots of hands-on instruction from Michele. Work with your dog or observe dogs learning impulse control via clicker training. Impulse behaviour problems such as rushing toward people or dogs, jumping up, bolting through doors, and counter-surfing may be worked on.

Course Type: Lab
    Experience Level: All

Doggie Zen: The Way to Self Control
    Cecilie Køste

Participant notes:
    To participate in this Lab, dogs must be able to offer simple behaviours. Handlers should already have experience observing, capturing, and shaping behaviour, as well as be agile enough to put down a bowl and pick it up again quickly. If not, we recommend that handlers enlist an observer or friend to help with bowl placement and removal.

Join Scandinavian trainer Cecilie Køste as she leads you and your dog down the path of canine enlightenment! The Western interpretation of the meaning of Zen corresponds to practices that lead to spiritual awakening and inner peace. Achieving "Doggie Zen" naturally refers to your dog's ability to demonstrate calm, patient behaviour even in the face of the most tempting of temptations!

In this Lab, you will learn and practice the principles of Doggie Zen. The unifying principle of Doggie Zen is to use positive reinforcement to teach the dog impulse control. In particular, the goal is for your dog to learn the concept of delayed gratification — giving up what he wants now to get it later. Hands-on exercises will help you and your dog progress towards this goal. You'll also refine your shaping skills and practice setting appropriate criteria.

Join Cecilie and see how "Doggie Zen" can improve your regular training, competition performance, and everyday life. May you both reach enlightenment during the Lab!

Experience Level: All Levels

If You Build it, They will Come: Training a Reliable Recall
    Kathy Sdao

Participant notes: This Lab will have handlers and their dogs work on beginner, intermediate, and advanced recall exercises. All dogs must be comfortable working near and around other dogs that may be running near them. All dogs will be able to participate in the beginner exercises and probably the intermediate exercises, but only a few dog/handler teams will be able to participate in the more advanced exercises.

Many people struggle with teaching dogs to run to them on cue. Though a relatively simple movement, the recall is also a crucial behaviour with several key criteria. This means trainers can easily make mistakes! Yet the power of clicker training is perfectly suited to this task. In this Lab, we’ll practice three specific training exercises (beginning, intermediate, and advanced). As a bonus, we’ll provide a list of 10 practical training tips for your use and to share with your students, if desired

Experience Level: All

20. bbrown

OMG that all sounds AMAZING!!!!!!

I need detailed write ups of all of it....really detailed ;D

And I can't wait to see Zen Charlie :) oooommmmmmmmm