Clicker recall

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by Jen, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi all

Just had a really good C&T session this morning. Very good sit stay, recall and stop whistle practise. Sun shining and dogs on form. ;D

I just wanted to check if I was doing this right or not.

Recall do I click when the dog reaches me or when the dog starts to come towards me?

It's a bit of a daft question because obviously if the dog is a long way it won't hear and if I can't see I won't know if it's set off.

In Karen pryors book it says click when the dog gets to you but I'm sure I read somewhere about clicking when it starts to come. That's the trouble with reading so much I guess. ::)

Also my dogs sit as soon as they reach me. Scout particularly is very quick to sit. If I don't get the click in before he sits will he think I'm clicking the sit or will he think I'm clicking the recall plus sit? (that's a bit complicated ::))

Same question applies to the stop whistle. Not a problem at the moment as we are still very much at heel ! If at some point I get them to sit at distance I'm assuming I click as the stop happens then go to them with treat. (I don't user the clicker as a release)

So many questions ???

Thank you

Jen :D

2. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Re: Clicker recall

As usual, I'm going to preface this by pointing out I'm not speaking from a position of experience, as I'm working through this for the first time too (and we're definitely behind you!)... however, I'd ask: what does your recall whistle mean? Does it mean 'Get yourself back here' or does it mean 'Get yourself back here and sit in front of me'? When you click, I think, depends on your answer. Because Brew quite naturally sat from tiny, that whistle for us means 'Come back here and sit in front of me.' The sit is not a separate command, so she gets her marker from me when her backside is on the ground.

My guess would also be that you are not 'luring' your recall - your dogs already know what that recall means, so if you click as they start to return towards you, you run the risk of them thinking 'job done' and skipping off again...

Just my thoughts. Someone else will be able to answer you properly!
    Clare

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't know the answer, so hope you get one!

I have heard 3 different things.

KP - click when the dog turns toward you, treat on arrival
    Gundog trainer - don't always ask your dog to sit, so you definitely reward the recall
    Click when the dog is moving at his fastest, usually in the middle of the recall - I think this might be total recall but might be misremember

I don't use a clicker for recall now, but when I did, to speed up the recall I clicked and rewarded speed

Love to know the right answer - it might depend on what stage of the process you are at - I can see at first, you would click for a turn towards you maybe?

4. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I took note ths afternoon.

When I recall scout I get my click in as he returns. He sits when he sees the treat coming so hopefully that means he knows the click is for coming back. ???

It's a bit confusing with all the different methods. Also the first method you mentioned Julie I suppose depends on how far the dog is. I know dogs have good hearing but there must be a limit and I doubt anybody knows the answer to that. :D

Jen

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Google says 20 - 30 yards, although one bit of google says 100 yards - that's probably the mad bit of google. ;D ;D ;D

6. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Thanks Julie .

Don't know why I didn't think to google it.

Now I just have to work out how far 20/30 yards away is ? ???