Clicker timing troubles

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by ClareJ, Nov 20, 2013.

1. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

On the whole, clicker training is working well... but sometimes she does something and I'm left wondering how to react. Today for example she threw herself 'Down' with gusto, I clicked... and in that split second before the treat, she leapt back up again. She doesn't always do this, and we've been working on repeat C&T for staying down, but what do I do in this situation? As she's had the C, she's been getting the &T, because if I withhold it, then I'll devalue the click? But at the same time, I don't want her to develop a behaviour of following a command and then instantly returning to what she considers to be a 'ready' position...

I've been working on the speed of treat delivery, and a proper treat pouch has definitely helped me with this - I don't think I'm too slow, but she obviously does! ???
    All suggestions very gratefully received,
    Clare

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Clicker timing troubles

It depends on what you want and what you are clicking for - if the click is the end of the exercise (eg she is released on the click and then you treat and repeat) then she did the right thing - she was free to stop doing whatever on the click. If what you wanted though was a 3 second down, then you should click for that, not the down right away.

I use a sort of continuous clicking to maintain a position over time, but not everyone does this. There is a thread somewhere where Pippa explained and directed us to some vids. I'll see whether I can dig it out.

3. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Thanks, Julie. I've seen the continuous clicking technique (think I was watching kikopup???) but am beginning to confuse myself. Sometimes I look at the viewing figures going up on youtube and wince at how many of them I am responsible for...

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Still looking for the thread...you need someone more experienced than I am, really, hopefully someone will be along soon.

I was thinking about what I do. I think Charlie has learned that if he stays where he is on a click, another one will be along soon. If I don't want this, I throw the treat to get him to move. If I don't throw the treat, he tends to stay where he is. But this isn't the only way to do it and at one point I thought it was a bit unusual.

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi Clare

I agree with Julie. If I was wanting to train duration on the down as in I say down so don't get up until released I would start withholding the C&T .

Once I've taught the initial move, sit, down etc, I would then say down wait few seconds c&t.

However when I trained the sit stay before I started working on duration of sit etc I taught the release cue so what you are then actually teaching is waiting for the release before they get a C&T and nothing should make them move but the release word. That way you can return C&T for maintaining the position. That's how I train like Julie continuous clicking (hope thats what you ment Julie). I don't use the click as a release cue.

I don't know if that makes sense. If you haven't already watch the kikopup sit stay video the shorter version it's about 7 mins . I found that really helpful and obviously can use it for down.

I know what you mean about confusing yourself as there seems to be at least two ways to C&T.

Can I ask a question? Does it matter if I say good dog when I C&T ? I find it difficult not too. ::)

6. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Thanks, Jen - that's really useful and has helped to de-confuse me!

I know what you mean about the verbal praise - she tends to get that alongside the treat! Not every time though - heaps of praise and tummy tickles are the signal that the training session is over - but she does get a lot of verbal 'good girl' throughout.
    Clare

7. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi Clare

I wrote my post yesterday in a bit of a rush and I'm not sure it makes sense even though you very kindly said it helped so I'm going to have another go. ::)

The C&T always means 'that's right, well done, good dog' but from what I've read and videos I've watched I think it can be used to train in two ways. Either the C&T means well done and release or well done and reinforcing the command telling the dog that it is still doing the right thing.

If I was training the down using the first method I would gradually increase the gap between the dog lying down and the C&T so the dog learns to earn the C&T it has to stay in the down position.

I use the second method. I C&T to reinforce what the dog is doing telling him well done your still doing the right thing. I think you need to teach a release cue though to do it this way although I'm not sure.

I mainly train this method because the first thing I taught my dogs with the clicker was the sit stay. I followed the kikopup video on YouTube and that's the method she uses. However I do think it works better for my two. They have what I like to call distraction syndrome.
    You know ' oooo look pretty butterfly I'll just see where it's going' . If I'm practising sit stay I will tell them to sit then I can move about different distances, for different lengths of time and create distractions but return at different times to C&T reinforcing well done your still sitting. If we practise walking to heel I give the command the dog assumes the position C&T then as we are walking I will C&T. They don't know when I'm going to C&T so they concentrate on me a lot better and on what they are doing. They want to hear that magic click.

I'll be honest I don't know if I'm doing it right, i doubt myself on a regular basis but so far it's worked. ::)

I hope that makes more sense ???

Jen :D

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, you are right, Jen, you need a release cue to use the second method :)

If you've found that your method is working then that means that it's working and I'd keep doing it :)

9. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Thanks Rachael like I said I do wonder if I've got it right so its good to know you think I have if it's working.

I wish I'd thought to clicker train sooner they've responded really well to it. So far anyway. ;)

10. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

[quote author=Jen link=topic=3361.msg36806#msg36806 date=1385068087]

I wish I'd thought to clicker train sooner they've responded really well to it. So far anyway. ;)
    [/quote]

I know what you mean, Jen - Brew gets excited at the mere sight of the clicker! She really enjoys those sessions.

Thanks to you and Rachael for your input on this.
    Clare