Clicker training book/resources

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by Harley Quinn, May 22, 2017.

1. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

For the next few months it isn't going to be possible for us (DH or myself) to attend training classes as our trainer on works on a Saturday. We will return to classes when we can but until then I was hoping for referrals to good clicker training resources - books or otherwise.
    I have had a look at youtube but there is so much that I don't know what is okay and what isn't. I follow Kikopup's stuff and we are considering paying for the videos but I am just doing my homework first.

Our needs are:
    -resources that are simple, straightforward for a novice to understand
    -but not only the super basics like sit, stay, down and come because she is able to do that already
    -so I think we need something that will help us build on the foundation we already have
    -we don't use clicker training for everything with Harley, but we are working on positive reinforcement only. So we will reward with a cuddle, game or praise. Not always with C&T.
    -our goal is well-behaved fun with Harley for both us and her

Please help with referrals:)

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

@Harley Quinn moved this to the clicker training section, always good to revisit or add new resources/discussions :)

Harley Quinn likes this.
  3. Harley Quinn

Thanks Kate!

4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Kilo pups are very good but as to what else really depends upon what you want to do. There are simply hundreds of books and videOscar available. Do you want to do tricks, agility, gundog, scent work, canicross, rally to mention just a few.......

Basics can be extended by increasing duration, distance and distraction - the 3 foundations of any training. While we think our pups are really good at 6 months it's surprising how much more we can do with basics

Harley Quinn likes this.
  5. Beanwood

One of my favourites right now is: Learning about Dogs: Learning Games by Kay Laurence - excellent book, especially if you are doing a lot of training on your own, and really want to take that bond to another level. Invaluable when I was struggling with Benson, now going back to it with Bramble.

Harley Quinn likes this.
  6. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

I was going to suggest the same as Kate. If you don't really have a focus, then it gives you lots of training games that you can play with, many which have practical applications.

You might like to look at Clicker Gundog, too, by Helen Phillips. Even if you don't have any interest in actually doing any gundog classes, the skills are still very useful.

Harley Quinn likes this.
  7. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I was just about to post asking for some books with games in but it looks like this might be what I need. In what way were you struggling with the lovely Benson, do you mind me asking?

Harley Quinn likes this.
  8. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

I mainly use videos on youtube for finding things to teach, but I've just ordered this book by Mary Ray, Dancing with Dogs. It has some sections on how to teach different tricks, and then 15 example routines.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dancing-Dogs-Easy-Learn-Techniques/dp/0600613615/ref=reader_auth_dp

Her dogs are amazing and the routines she puts together are so beautiful - I really liked the one from Crufts this year to Singing in the Rain.

Lucky knows a lot of different tricks, and I thought it might be fun for him to build this into a longer routine, but I don't really know where to start! I'll let you know if I think it's worth buying when it arrives.

Harley Quinn, charlie and Beanwood like this.
  9. Harley Quinn

Do you mind sharing the channels you use?

10. UncleBob

UncleBob Moderator Forum Supporter

11. Beanwood

Sorry @selina27, I missed this! :)

The main issue I had when Benson was younger was the fact that EVERYTHING was far more interesting that little old me! I ended up laden like a cart horse on walks, and must have tried everything in the book. It really was a hard old slog. The last straw was when he spent half the time God knows where on one of our Sevenside walks, really stressful!
    It is really hard to believe he is the same dog now, he is constantly attentive, and rarely walks more than 10 metres ahead. He chooses this behaviour and I love him for it.
    I think he was particularly affected by hormones, this made it quite hard to get through to him. Benson was implanted with Suprelorin, to give us some breathing space and some intense training to help us through this adolescent period. This strategy would not be for everyone but it worked for us in preventing learned behaviours down the line, and actually to be able to detangle sexual behaviour from simply "just needs more training". Now the implant has worn off, however the benefits of training are well and truly ingrained. :)
    We also took him to gundog training, the initial course though was a huge failure! Terrible, just awful..So we dropped gundog work and switched to agility. Now that was a laugh as Benson already had a rep for just running off! Talk about embarrassing, when people don't know you, but recognise your dog!!
    Now he is at advanced gundog classes and loving it. He has even proven himself as not too shabby on a proper shoot.

12. selina27

Thanks, @Beanwood , for your very honest answer. I would say, after Cassie's horrid phantom pregnancy, never underestimate the power of hormones !
    It's new ways to keep her interested in me that I'm after. Not that she's doing too bad, what I took to be searching for mental activity was looking for puppies, the troubled look has gone from her eyes now.
    Benson is a credit to you now for sure.
    So I will try the book you recommend.

Atemas likes this.
  13. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Selina, have you seen the Absolute Dogs video "Leash Off, Game On"? There are some good ideas in there. I've taught all three of mine "middle" (go between my legs) from that and they love it! I have a DVD to give away (I got a download copy and they are happy for you to pass on the hard copy) so I can post that to you if you're interested.

15. selina27

Thank you @snowbunny, you are very kind. I do have the download actually from when it was discussed on here, I will watch it again. I could do with some games I can do in the house, so perhaps the book will be helpful. I would like to find some things my niece's little girls could do with her later in the summer, I think the balls on the cake baking thing might be good.

16. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Coco absolutely loves this too. I'm thinking it might even work for emergency recall.