Clicker training - chewtoys?

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by HannahandPoppy, Jul 21, 2017.

1. HannahandPoppy

HannahandPoppy Registered Users

Hi

So me and Poppy are doing pretty well with our clicker training. It's round my neck (along with my recall whistle) all day and I've got my hip bag of treats. Throughout the day I reinforce positive behaviour and distract from the things I don't want eg her starting to chew furniture.

The question I have is should I click and treat if she's chewing on her toys? I want to communicate with her that this is a good thing to do but what's the best way of doing this:
    a) let her enjoy the chewtoy with no input from me
    b) let her enjoy the chewtoy and say "good"
    c) click and treat - with the inevitable consequence she actually stops chewing on the toy, forgets about it and potentially goes to chew something undesirable

Any thoughts?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I wouldn't use the clicker for this. A clicker is an instrument of precision and can end up a bit confusing if you are using it for more vague things. I'd be using some verbal praise to express your pleasure, maybe join her in a game with the toy, if appropriate.

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I would just let her enjoy her chew toy, she's happy and you're happy so a win/win. If you feel the need to mark her good behaviour just a nice soft 'good girl' will suffice as you don't want to interrupt the good behaviour