Clicker training "give"

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by snowbunny, Mar 19, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

I've been clicker training my two to "give" recently. That is, deliver an object that's in their mouth to my hand.
    I've had great success with this at home, but been having difficulty transferring it outside. The big problem I have is with the snow - when they are carrying something int eh snow, it's a great game to drop it and then mouse-pounce on it until it's buried, then try and find it again. :rolleyes:

This morning, I managed to find a little place in the woods where there was bare ground, covered in pine cones. It was about 5 feet diameter, so pretty cosy, but I sat down and started right from the beginning of the give with the cones that were to hand. They did really well, even with the distraction of the other dog mouse-pouncing in the snow and their little border collie friend, who had decided to join us.

This afternoon, I've done another session inside, varying the object between a regular dummy, a pheasant dummy, a rubber ball, a Kong ball and a pine cone. These have varying degrees of attraction to the dogs, so we started on the easiest (the dummy) and finished on the hardest (kong ball for Shadow, rubber ball for Willow).

Willow, especially, came on really well. She got the idea that she could play with the ball as much as she liked until I asked for it (that is, I ignored any attempts for her to give it to me when I hadn't cued her), and once she understood that, she really relaxed into the exercise and became excited when I asked her to give it, knowing she'd get a tasty treat, plus the ball back. By the end, I had them both wandering round the living room, playing with their balls and playing together, but trotting up to me to give it to me when asked.

Very pleased, and now we just have to transfer more of that behaviour to the big wide world.....!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

where's your go-pro Fiona? ;)

3. snowbunny

Errrrr..... :rolleyes: :oops:

drjs@5 likes this.
  4. Lisa

Lisa Moderator Forum Supporter

I started to work on this, but got stuck. Technically I was working on "take" and then "give". I got the "take" fairly well, but Simba would then just spit out the object in order to get the treat. I know you are supposed to wait a little longer for the "give" command so the dog holds it longer and longer but I can't seem to make this work. Simba takes object and pretty much immediately spits it out. How do I get past this?

Dexter likes this.
  5. snowbunny

I've been using the hand targeting method in this video:

https://game.absolute-dogs.com/fake-itlrt4rwbj

The dog learns to hold it until the hand is offered. I still don't have great duration, but we're getting there, and it does seem to also help encourage a really solid "push" into your hand. If they drop it, I just wait until they pick it up again. If they don't understand, I pick it up, put it back down, or use the "hold" cue.

6. snowbunny

I have to say that the hand targeting works really well inside, but outside, I'm struggling with it. Shadow has been too reinforced by having something thrown when he's dropped it outside, so he's finding it tough.

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I know what you mean Lisa....I've got a delivery to hand and it's whilst it's not a 'spit' it's not far off.....I've struggled to add duration , I think I was using the Clicker Retreive articles to do this.Thanks for this video Fiona,Dexter does pick up if we fumble the pass so playing this game might help us x

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

What is the problem exactly? That there is no duration to the hold, or the dog drops the dummy when you hand approaches?

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

You know I'm only doing it for fun so it's a training 'activity' rather than goal but it would be nice to fine tune what I've got....Dexter returns to me and we sort of 'pass' the item quickly between us..he does drop it in my hand but I have to be ready and in the correct position....or it's a fumble.
    Ideally I'd like him to sit and hold until I am ready to take it....so I need 2 things I guess ....duration of the hold first and then to add the sit.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I found it extremely difficult to add in any duration to the hold with the dog still - I spent far, far too much time on this, got frustrated which made everything worse and it was a terrible waste of time. Try getting Dexter just to follow your hand first, don't worry about actually taking the dummy, just get him to start targeting your hand. I'll do a vid later....

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

This is where I am with Charlie at the moment (he'll do this just about any where so long as I have his focus!) and I no longer have to actually have my out he will walk at heel holding the dummy until I turn to him and offer him a hand target. If I try to get duration with him still it turns into a chopping mess! This is just for fun with Charlie too - I don't want a sit, I don't even really care all that much about duration with him still, I just want him to want to get that dummy to my hand.

I suppose I would like to build on this to a still hold though, but I have found the transition difficult.

I'm not usually turning round in circles! That was just because I was trying to do a vid.

[​IMG]hold by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

In the evenings when I was sitting on the sofa, Rourke or Drift would sit in front of me and we would play 'hold and give', when they held it, they were stroked and told what lovely dogs they were, then I said give and gently took it out of their mouths. Of course, I only did one dog at a time. You can lengthen the time they hold.

I made a mistake when clicker training in that I clicked Rourke for pushing the dummy towards my middle, now he sometimes winds me in his enthusiasm to push the dummy when he gives it to me.:eek:

SevandJack, Karen and snowbunny like this.
  13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I really must do a vid of what happens if I ask Charlie to hold a dummy when he is still.....he chomps it up and spits it out! :D:D:D

14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Don't give him time to chomp, pop it in and take it out immediately. You could then hold a treat just above his nose so that he concentrates on that and holds it a little bit longer without chomping :)

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

But I can't move on from the take it immediately - I spent MONTHS and consulted several trainers and I couldn't do it. His hold is not proofed against food, because I can only achieve it while he is walking. I cannot get a still hold proofed against food, because I can't get a still hold.

16. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Suddenly wondered why you need a still hold? I have seen Charlie give you the dummy to hand when he is retrieving:)

17. snowbunny

I think sometimes it's just nice to train these things for fun :)

I took a little video this evening which shows Shadow hand targeting (yes, he's very bouncy - he loves this "game") and then a little bit of what Julie was doing, which I've been working on recently, a walking hold followed by a delivery to hand, this time with Willow. Apologies for the shoddy camera work, I'm not used to the camera being mounted on my hand yet and I've not got the hang of where to point it!!

Stacia likes this.
  18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't. :) I am happy with what I have - he seeks out my hand with the dummy, and I don't need a hold and I don't need a sit. That's why I stopped where I did. I wouldn't mind a still hold and a sit - if there were an easy way to get it - but I'm not motivated to invest a lot more time, really.

Stacia likes this.
  19. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Same here - I'm happy enough with a dummy delivered to me with Pops standing in front of me - I'm not bothered about her sitting in front of me holding it.

Very intrigued though to read about all the stuff you train with the clicker! Will have to try it with my next dog.

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, @snowbunny, Willow looks further along than Shadow (yay for the girls! :)) - she is not far off at all. I'd be interested if you can transfer that walking hold to a still hold - take loads of vids, I didn't manage it.

Maybe with Shadow he needs to be able to do a non bouncy 'follow the hand' next - he sure is enjoying himself though! :)

snowbunny likes this.