Clicker training "give"

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by snowbunny, Mar 19, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

He sure is! I've worked hard to get the hand target as a motivating thing in itself. It's entirely possible I took it a stage too far with Shadow :rolleyes:

2. snowbunny

Here is some that I did this morning. I was a bit disheartened, because they are both really good at using different objects inside (I'll try to get some video of that tomorrow), but when we go outside, they're struggling to use anything but the dummy. I know this is normal, but it's the first time I've struggled so much with a change of environment.

You'll be wondering where all the snow has gone. We had several feet covering this area a couple of mornings ago! But, spring is coming and things are warming up, plus the ground never really froze properly this season, so the snow melts really quickly once the sun comes out on these southern slopes.

Willow in this video looks so puppyish. I think it's the distortion of the camera. She looks lovely and shiny, though.... and Shadow was showing off his muscles at the beginning of the clip :)

It made me laugh when the ball started rolling off down the hill towards the end. And then Willow decided that she needed to stop of a quick bit of newly-defrosted sheep poo :rolleyes:

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's not entirely obvious to me what is happening in places - I can't always see what you are throwing, for example. So forgive any comments that don't reflect reality!

I think you are working on too many things at the same time.

With Shadow, you are throwing things - so you are working on the full sequence of the retrieve. If he won't pick up something just on the floor, or take something from you on a hold cue, I'd sort that first before moving to a delivery to hand.

With Willow (I'm a little pleased she is outshining her brother here, because Shadow is usually the 'flashy' one, it's lovely to see Willow being the star :) ) she is not focused on giving you that ball. She wants to keep and play with it. So it's not about a hand target, it's about a return. Return first, then a hand delivery.

4. Lisa

Lisa Moderator Forum Supporter

Hmm..yes, you are obviously much further ahead in this than I am. But I still don't know how to crack the duration. I guess I was taking this in two steps - first the "take it", and then the "give". So we have got the "take it", but of course I click for that, which prompts him to spit it out in anticipation of the treat. So I try to delay the click even just for a split second, but he still spits the object out right away. I have been working on the "moving" hand target but not quite got there yet. Not sure it will help, though, I have trained the hand target as a closed fist as when I first started it Simba got confused between my open palm which he thought meant "stay" and so would just look at my hand. :oops:

5. snowbunny

Yes, you're right. Like I said, I got a bit disheartened so started throwing too much stuff at it to try to get the behaviours I was after, rather than stopping and working more on the things I have going well at home. I think the next sensible step is to try to transfer the behaviours to our terrace outside, and then maybe the garage and then the road out the front of the building etc. Small steps repeating the same thing. They're just unable to give me the behaviour we have at home in this setting right now and I got frustrated rather than planning it out.

I wasn't too worried about her wanting to play with it and staying away. The ball was a new thing outside, so I wanted to keep the pressure on her low - she will shut down if pushed too hard. My thinking was that, she did a few close-up targets, so got the general idea, but then I would only give her the cue (the hand target) when she was engaging with me again, rather than trying to make her engage, if that makes sense? So, over time, she'll begin to realise that coming back to me is rewarding and she'll be looking for the target when she does? Is that a daft idea?

6. snowbunny

@Lisa, have you tried to draw out your verbal cue a bit? I use "hold", and when I started, I made the sound longer, "hooooooooooold", and that seemed to slow the dog down a bit. You have to be careful it doesn't turn into a "warning" type, so your voice has to stay light and fluffy. It's probably a silly thought, but it might be worth a try.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think if you don't have engagement, because the object is too exciting outside (believe me, I have a LOT of experience with that....and get more experience on a regular basis :D:D:D) then a hand target is neither here nor there. You need engagement despite the excitement of the toy.

8. Lisa

No, I haven't tried that. Haven't worked on this in awhile as we didn't seem to be getting anywhere, so I'll give it a go.

9. Bruer

Bruer Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We are doing this a training. Baxter is happy to bring something and drop it at your feet if there is a treat going but trainers are wanting him to give to hand so it was back to basics, she gave us all a soft rope and we were to give him it, then without letting go ask him to give then if he did praise. My problem is he will not take it :confused: i try to make it interesting rub his chin/nose but he's not for taking. If i do get him to take which is rare he will give which is something. I think it will be a long process

10. Lisa

Making some progress:) I tried @snowbunny 's idea of the longer cue and that got us to where Simba would hold it for just a second, but it was long enough for me to throw in a "give" before he spit it out. So...still a bit hit and miss but he will hold it for a second or two. More often than not he will drop it when I say "give" but I tried to be a bit more precise with the clicker and I even got one "give" in which he was definitely pushing it toward my hand. :D I also have worked on the moving hand target...he's getting that pretty well. So..slowly but surely...:)

drjs@5 likes this.