Clicker Training to stop JUMPING UP

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by charlie, Oct 25, 2013.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi, I have started clicker training to stop Hattie & Charlie from jumping up when visitors arrive (better late then never ::)). Started with David arriving home which went well. Then Thomas arriving home from Scounts but they just sat in front of me waiting for the treat but I didn't have to do anything. Now I am not expecting miracles as I only started last night, is this correct should I have C&T which I didn't because I don't want it for the sit just all paws on the floor? Thanks Helen xx

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Clicker Training to stop JUMPING UP

In the kikopup video (how to stop jumping up! - clicker dog training - YouTube) she clicks for a sit or a down or paws on the floor, anything apart from jumping up. But the dog is approaching the person they would normally have jumped up to. Sounds like you plus treats are more attractive than thinking about jumping up at Thomas!

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Julie, next challenge will be a friend visiting :eek: If they have all paws on the floor do I keep C&T to keep them there or release them and hope they don't jump up and if they do repeat the exercise or do I tell my visitors to just walk by and ignore them?. Clicker training is pretty confusing which is why I have always resisted as don't want to C&T the wrong thing. Helen x

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I started C&T for any behaviour apart from jumping up, then spaced out the C&T as the not jumping up got longer (like I do for sits when there are lots of distractions), now I'm aiming for a sit - but that's work in progress. The kikopup vid shows the treat being put on the floor to reinforce the point the reward comes from down there, not up. And if the dog jumps up they get ignored. I guess at some point, the video assumes the greeting is over and the dog will be quiet - Charlie thinks about 20 minutes is the polite time to spend saying hello to someone new though!

My challenge is jumping up outside! So hard to get people in the street to co-operate! ::)

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I agree with you Helen about clicker training being confusing.

In theory it seems simple click for the behaviour you want but in practice I'm the same as you I don't want to C&T the wrong thing. ???

At first I wasn't sure if the click made any difference but they've picked up the sit stay so quick it must. I think I'll have a go at not jumping up next. They don't really jump up at people but they jump up at the kitchen work top while I'm getting their food etc. I guess it will work for that too.

What happened when Thomas came home sounds a bit like counter conditioning (I could be wrong). They are associating somebody coming in with treats from you. That way would work too. There's a kikopup counter conditioning video. That might help you Julie with the jumping up outside seeing as those strangers you meet just aren't prepared to help. ;) ;D

Keep clicking

Jen

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Jen, I'll check that out.

[quote author=Jen link=topic=3036.msg32121#msg32121 date=1382699093]

seeing as those strangers you meet just aren't prepared to help. ;) ;D

[/quote]

What people think they are doing, walking around in broad daylight without being educated and prepared to click and treat for a puppy keeping his paws on the ground, I don't know! ;D ;D ;D (I do it for them, but they will flap around and fuss...). ;D ;D ;D