clicking for giving me the dummy...

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by JulieT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97932779@N08/10409703626/

I'm clicking for giving me the dummy...

Aren’t we slow? Wow… I didn’t realise that. We got faster though – I was using high value treats at first that took him absolutely ages to eat! (That’s where he is when he disappears early on – eating his treat).

I had NO idea that I prompted him with a hand signal to pick up the dummy. I’m not sure I’ve done that before, I'm pretty sure I haven't, because I don’t think he has ever paused before in his pick up of the dummy. Hmmm… what’s going on there, I wonder?

SO interesting!

I’m sure there is chomping and all sorts of horrible things going on…but he is giving me the dummy! Yay….yay...so pleased...is this at least the beginning of the end of his refusal to give up the dummy!

Any comments at all that will help me improve, gratefully received (hah, sorry about the pun there…).

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: clicking for giving me the dummy...

Lookin' good to me!!! I would be happy if I was you.

9 times out of 10 he picks up the dummy in the middle. You are clicking when he gets it into your hand - good timing.

Chomping doesn't look significant to me (but I do retrieving for obedience and no-one would care about that small degree of chomping in obedience retrieving....might be different in the game retrieving world).

He is definitely starting to look for your cue to pick up the dummy. That's a good thing. Eventually you want him to wait till he's sent, so the fact that he's looking to you for confirmation that he can get it is good.

I'd start tossing the dummy a bit further away now that you have a pretty good delivery.

The only thing I'd say other than that is that maybe you did a few too many repetitions. Hs enthusiasm seemed to drop a little towards the end (though I know that you've been working to temper the enthusiasm a bit).

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks so much, really helpful. I think it's a step in the right direction.

If I ask him to sit and hold the dummy, he chomps like mad. (I don't really care, but the trainers care, and I want to work with them). Earlier, I tried walking with the treat so he was moving, and he didn't chomp, he'll walk with the dummy ok. Don't know what that's all about.

I've done loads and loads of tiny sessions over the last few days, not clicker training, but various different things to get him to bring me stuff. I might have overdone it. It might be time for a bit of a break.

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think that chomping is a bit of an 'outlet for frustration' thing (using frustration in a very, very loose way to kind of mean 'pent up energy and a desire to do something with it). Maybe if they are walking the physical activity of that is outlet enough... Dunno, just guessing :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, that's interesting - makes sense. I've never seen him do it when actually fetching or bringing something back. It is a bit strange to say "sit still and hold this". Charlie probably thinks "ok, but I may as well chew it since there's nothing els to do right now". ;D ;D ;D

6. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

loved youur video, you are working very well :)

7. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi Julie, I'm really enjoying your videos, wish everyone would film and post their training sessions. :D
    My first thought was 'oh, Julie has got that same horrible little red dummy that I had and got rid of' ;) I bought mine from Mole valley thinking it was a nice handy size to keep in my pocket. None of my dogs are hard mouthed but for some reason I always found teeth marks in this dummy. I binned it! :D
    With regards to the treats you are using, obviously it is the dog who decides what is rewarding, but I always found soft food better in clicker training sessions than dry food. I got through tons of hot dogs with Murffi. It is so much easier to eat quickly for the dog than chewing a dry treat. It is literally down the hatch in a split second which makes rapid reinforcement much easier. ;D
    Keep an eye on how you take the dummy from Charlie. You want him to be consistent in the way he holds and delivers that means you also have to be consistent in how you receive it. Sometimes your hand comes across his face which could be confusing for the dog. Think about how you would receive a dummy if you were standing up and use that same movement when you are sitting during a training session. :)
    Here is a little video of Murffi and me practising the sit present. You can see that I always take he dummy in the same way. :)

http://youtu.be/_UWJDmNfBVc

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks you so much, incredibly helpful tips. I'll work through them all. Thanks for video, I see exactly what you mean, I'll put that right.

Doing the videos is amazing. First I can see what I'm doing and then I get loads of great tips. I think it's speeding things up no end for me.

Off to get a new dummy! I ordered some a while back but they didn't arrive, I'll go chase them up.

9. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Brilliant Julie.

Although I got a bit destracted by how gorgeous Charlie is. Could just cuddle him. Sorry that's not very gundog is it. ::)

It's really good how he keeps looking at you very attentive. :D

Keep it up Charlie field trial champ in the making.

Jen

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Jen! If we were as good at gundoging as cuddling...Charlie could be a sofa cuddle trial champion! Maybe we could have a new title - SCTCh!

11. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Training an SCTCH would be so much easier I'd have two. ;D :D ;D

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So we seem to be a bit stuck in the same place.

Pick up in the middle - ok, mostly, at least 90%.
    Hand it to me - just about 100%, even the time he fumbled it, he picked it back up and offered it to me.
    I'm now consistently taking it from him with my right hand on his left
    Soft food has added a bit of speed

Me standing up threw him out though, so I'm on a sort of half crouch off a high chair now!

And he still chomps if I ask him to hold - but not when he is waiting to give me the dummy, only when I've given it to him to hold! Dur...

How many clicker sessions is it ok to do a day? I've just been doing one, but am tempted to do 2 or 3, just to speed things up. I try to do lots of other exercises apart from clicker training, find its with a dummy shaped toy etc., that involve him giving me things too.

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

What about one of those plastic dummies that Heidrun, Karen etc. use, I thought I remembered them saying it stopped chomping. Just a thought :)

14. Jen

Jen Registered Users

In Pippa's clicker trained retrieve article she suggests 2or3 10 minute sessions a day.

Your doing well keep going, well done Charlie . :D

Jen

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Jen, I keep forgetting about the articles, as am working from the book. I'll have a read.

Helen - yes, new dummies on order...I'm tempted to use his mongoose toy - it's shaped like a dummy and got a squeek in it so I'll know whether he is chomping or not (oh no, horrors, have admitted the wannabe gundog has a squeeky toy!).

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=2996.msg32243#msg32243 date=1382795535]
    Thanks Jen, I keep forgetting about the articles, as am working from the book. I'll have a read.

Helen - yes, new dummies on order...I'm tempted to use his mongoose toy - it's shaped like a dummy and got a squeek in it so I'll know whether he is chomping or not (oh no, horrors, have admitted the wannabe gundog has a squeeky toy!).
    [/quote]

I'm gunna tell my Charlie ;D ;D

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My Charlie says it's ok, he won't let his mongoose hurt your Charlie's snake!

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=2996.msg32246#msg32246 date=1382796892]
    My Charlie says it's ok, he won't let his mongoose hurt your Charlie's snake!
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D

My Charlie says "phew that's a relief, I love my snake" :*

19. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If you are getting such a high success rate now picking the dummy in the middle and delivering to hand I would move things on a bit. Throw the dummy further away, stand up, move to a different room, that sort of thing. I wouldn't give him the dummy to hold if he chomps on it. :D

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Heidrun

We managed me standing and a sit before delivery last night - 5 perfect then stopped. It all feels a little fragile though - particularly the hand over. I think I'm doing some of the work and probably putting my hand out too soon. I read again the book and am going to work on me putting my hand out and withdrawing it before i take it, and also having my hand in a different place so he has to more deliberately reach for my hand. I'll have to add a cue now too. I'll work on that today and tomorrow, just to try nail the "in my hand" bit.

I'm in a different house now, so location has changed too. Then I'll try further away. Then outside....