clicking for giving me the dummy...

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by JulieT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: clicking for giving me the dummy...

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=2996.msg32352#msg32352 date=1382892868]
    What I would really like to see is what Charlie does and what you do on a normal retrieve outside without a clicker. Maybe your OH could take a video of you? :)
    [/quote]

OH has disappeared off for a while ::). This was the best I could do one handed.

First, we check we can do a recall in the wind with some kids rolling down the hill to the left (out of picture) and we're not too excited - fine, no probs.

The we do a retrieve. I throw the dummy on the first "stay, Charlie, stay". The second time I say stay (in a rather stern voice!) Charlie has pulled against my hand on his collar as I extend my right hand. WGT#2 told me not to let him do this on my hand signal but wait for the verbal command.

Anyway, he doesn't bring the dummy back :-[. When he does come back, he drops it on the floor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97932779@N08/10535183594/

I put the dummy away after that, didn't think I'd do another retrieve but go back to the clicker training. So he picks up a stick instead... imagine the stick is a dummy, this is what he would do when he is all excited at the gundog lesson:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97932779@N08/10535177514/

2. Jen

Jen Registered Users

He is gorgeous Julie. I know I've said that before but he is especially when he looks up at you like he's saying I did well then didn't I . Love him. ;D such fun .

Sorry that doesn't help you much does it. ::)

Jen

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Jen. I think he really does want to do the right thing - but his desire to have fun is overwhelming! I do love him though, he always makes me smile no matter what!

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

He is really cute - so happy and fun-loving ;D

5. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Julie, he really is gorgeous.

That is a very mild case of 'keep away' :) You will soon get past this.

If you are not enjoying the clicker training, have a go at 'the long walk about' . It's about half way down the page. This is how many gundog trainers solved (and still do) a keep away problem if they're not familiar with or don't like 'hold' training (using either a clicker, or forced hold).

The weather looks good for tomorrow, so will try and film the walking hold.

Pippa

6. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree with Pippa, I have seen a lot worse than that little lap of victory Charlie did. Something else you could try is to find a narrow path bordered by very uninviting thicket like brambles or stinging nettles. It is in effect a retrieving corridor but using the natural environment. I am sure he will not take the scenic route back to you. :D ;)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks for the encouragement - this was one of his better returns, I was just hoping he'd bring it back after all that clicker training. He has galloped round with it for 20 minutes before now, and has never returned in less than 10 minutes when excited at the gundog lesson. Maybe the clicker training is having an impact, and I should keep going with it I think.

8. heidrun

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=2996.msg32570#msg32570 date=1382981762]
    Thanks for the encouragement - this was one of his better returns, I was just hoping he'd bring it back after all that clicker training. He has galloped round with it for 20 minutes before now, and has never returned in less than 10 minutes when excited at the gundog lesson. Maybe the clicker training is having an impact, and I should keep going with it I think.
    [/quote]

Crikey, those are expensive retrieves when you are paying by the hour for your lessons!! :eek: :p

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Too right! The week before last I paid about £20 to walk away from my dog then stand ignoring him inspecting a hedge (that worked though, and he dropped the blasted dummy). ::)

10. heidrun

It is ok to tell your dog off when he is really taking the Michael during the retrieve. Especially a dog with a robust fondness for retrieving like Charlie! :D ;)

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

If I shout "NO NO NO BAD BOY" he just runs faster thinking it's part of the game. Water off a duck's back. ::) no authority that's my problem. Mind he didn't take a blind bit of notice when the trainers did it either. He's definitely not the sensitive type, he's very hard to upset. The best time he has ever had is when WGT#1 bopped him on the nose for jumping up - he thought that was great. ::)

I do think the improvement is down to the clicker training - it must be, I haven't done anything else apart from the getting him in close exercises. So I'm going to push on with it.

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh love that little Charlie. When I was playing your video and you called for Charlie, my Charlie ran towards my computer screen ears pricked up raring to go ;D

I have a query, why did you repeat the recall whistle? I thought that was a no, no. Helen x

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=charlie link=topic=2996.msg32585#msg32585 date=1382989969]
    I have a query, why did you repeat the recall whistle? I thought that was a no, no. Helen x
    [/quote]

Until very recently, I wouldn't use my recall to call Charlie in with a dummy at all because I thought it might damage my recall. I wouldn't have used my recall at all but for the fact I had checked it before I started that (but for the dummy) in those conditions it worked - it wasn't challenging really, just wind and kids. I just felt confident if I gave him a reminder he would bring the dummy in as he was just wandering round with it, not a true gallop off and kill the dummy (where my recall would be useless). I wouldn't repeat my recall in any other circumstances - this was about the dummy though, not my recall which is normally strong, so I thought I'd risk it. Probably all wrong though!

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You'll get there!

I just loved your videos ;D He's having so much fun.

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=2996.msg32627#msg32627 date=1383001024]
    I just loved your videos ;D He's having so much fun.
    [/quote]

More than I am! My motivation is the result, not the process, so I'm finding it a bit tedious - good job I have a faster moving day job! I think it's good for me.... ::)

16. Oberon

If you are not enjoying it, do for yourself as you would do for your dog and have a little break from it :) A couple of weeks off gundoggery won't hurt him at all.

We only train for flyball once a week or even once a fortnight, at our club. In between we do absolutely nothing directly related to flyball because we don't have any equipment at home. They don't necessarily need to train that often, if you have fun and make a smidge of progress or even just learn something yourself when you do train.

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=2996.msg32629#msg32629 date=1383003767]
    If you are not enjoying it, do for yourself as you would do for your dog and have a little break from it :) A couple of weeks off gundoggery won't hurt him at all.
    [/quote]

I might, next week, after this week's lesson. It's not that I don't enjoy it - I do very much overall, it's just I'm not used to having to work so hard for small steps forward and get impatient. It's good for me!

18. Oberon

I'm hearin' ya ;D What's not to like about instant results for no effort - definitely my preferred model....

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

;D ;D ;D

20. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I sometimes repeat my recall on the return if Riley looks around to reinforce that he should be coming back...I think I've seen Heidrun use her recall whistle more than once on a return too....I think the 'don't blow your whistle twice' rule applies when the first recall hasn't worked. I'm sure someone more experienced will let us beginners know :D
    And I'm all up for the large return for no effort too please ;D