clicking for giving me the dummy...

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by JulieT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Re: clicking for giving me the dummy...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with 1 step forward 27 steps back. I guess training dogs is a good way to develop patience. Perhaps it's me that needs more training! ::)

I'm finding your posts and the advice your getting very helpful Julie thanks.

I think I'll base my training on following you a week behind. ;D ;D ;D

Jen

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=2996.msg32642#msg32642 date=1383035769]
    I sometimes repeat my recall on the return if Riley looks around to reinforce that he should be coming back...I think I've seen Heidrun use her recall whistle more than once on a return too....I think the 'don't blow your whistle twice' rule applies when the first recall hasn't worked. I'm sure someone more experienced will let us beginners know :D
    And I'm all up for the large return for no effort too please ;D
    [/quote]

Ah thanks Barbara, that applies to Charlie (sometimes) and I never repeat it.

I am still dreaming of being in your position with your dogs ladies ::) one day, one day!!

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I have put a link to a video demonstrating the walking hold in this post and some info to go with it

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That's so clear from the video, thanks so much - that will definitely help, I think. I'll give it a go.

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Just butting in.....I've been keeping an eye on all your experiences whilst we have been laid up a bit,to be honest not that close though as it would have got me a bit angsty thinking I wasn't doing enough with Dex ;D .We are back in the game now so I want to get on with working on Dexters retreive.....Julie of you are reading this,which book are you using?
    Thanks x

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hi Angela I'm using the clicker retrieve instructions from the back of the gundog trust training book one. I also looked at Pippa's articles (which Jen used) and found Donna Hill's videos helpful (but stuck mainly to the book with the departures discussed in the thread).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6oFO9Z0oHBA&desktop_uri=/watch?v=6oFO9Z0oHBA

It really worked! Go Dexter, you'll be retrieving in no time (well, it felt like ages at the time, but we got there).

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

What a good video.
    I was imagining a dead bird in place of the bumper.
    Note to self......watch more of these videos....

8. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Thanks for putting that link to the Donna Hill video Julie I missed that one. :D

I found Pippa's articles about clicker retrieve concise and easy to follow. I also read Rachael's Journey which helped with a couple of sticky points. It was also reassuring to read the problems Pippa faced despite her being an expert.

I have to admit we have fallen behind a bit as I've been concentrating on the sit stay the last couple of weeks. Until Scott's tummy is back to normal I feel I need to ration the amount if treats and so ration my clicker training.

Dexter will pick it up in no time (no pun intended ;D)

9. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Thanks Julie and Jen....I've got the Gundog Grade One book and of course I dip into Pippas stuff all the time....I've got another gang of visitors arriving tomorrow but the difference this time should be Dex out of his cone and healed so I can get cracking.....he's had a right break these last few weeks.....not that his training regime is in any way intensive but I do like to try and teach him something to keep his brain ticking over :D......
    I've got loads to draw on too from your chats back and forth too,thankyou x