Clicking to reinforce Recall & Stop

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by charlie, Jan 31, 2016.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I read in @snowbunny thread that she C&T to help to reinforce stop and recall so we have been doing this with Charlie. The recall works well but when we use it with the stop he wants to return after the click, any ideas please?

Also Charlie doesn't sit on a stop whistle, does it matter?

Thank you xx :)

SteffiS likes this.
  2. SteffiS

SteffiS Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Awaiting reply with interest, I am working on this at the moment.

3. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm interested to hear what those more experienced members think but I'd imagine that it doesn't matter what Charlie does when he stops, as long as he's stopping.

BevE likes this.
  4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

This is something that @bbrown and I grilled the clicker trainers at clicker expo about. You have to condition the dog to stay in position after the click or move after the click - you do this by delivering the reward in position or by expecting the dog to move to get the reward.

Over time, my Charlie has learned this - he has not just learned it for a certain exercise, but has learned that's the deal. So on a new exercise now, he'll watch to see which it is.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh, but, just to say - your Charlie isn't actually doing anything 'wrong' by moving on the click after a stop. You could just substitute the click for a release and that's fine. If he holds his position until he hears a click/a release/another cue, that's fine.

It's up to you as to whether or not you want a sit on a stop.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I want a sit on a stop. I want an absolutely solid, no doubt about it, stop and stillness - for me, that's best seen if the dog sits. And I want a proper, solid, bum firmly on the ground and no hovering sit too. But this is just because I don't want any movement and I think this is the best way to get that. If your dog stops rock solid at a stand, it's fine.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's great, thank you Julie :)

Well we're just really grateful that Charlie actually stops, so really glad to hear it doesn't matter :rolleyes: x

drjs@5 likes this.
  8. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

When training the stop at a distance, I generally use a ball as the reward. So, initially, I held the ball up as I blew my whistle - this made them sit automatically and I would click, then throw it behind them. This gets them used to being rewarded at a distance. The ball gets faded very quickly and simply replaced with an open, raised hand - then to reward, the ball is taken out of your bag or pocket. Then, I'd delay the click so they got used to sitting for longer before their reward. The click worked as a release, but when they were used to the fact they were rewarded at a distance from me, the click would simply release them from their position, but ready to chase the ball or treat. I always reward them in place or behind them when doing a stop. If I'm using treats and it's not possible to throw them behind (if it's too blustery, or the treat would get lost in the snow), then I walk to the dog and reward in place.

I like the sit on the stop, because it enforces a stationary position, but it's certainly not essential. If your dog can stop well in a stand, then I wouldn't fret about the sit.

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Wot @snowbunny says :) I don't think it matters one jot whether your dog sits or not as long as it stays in one place. We train gundogs to sit to the whistle, but when trained many just stop in the standing position. However, if you want a solid sit as JulieT does, that is fine as well.:)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't think it matters, if you are using a clicker, that the dog comes forward for a reward - if you are working on the basis the dog can move after the click. If you are using the clicker correctly, it shouldn't make the dog less steady before the click.