Cold pressed dog food!

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by boogs83, Feb 17, 2016.

1. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

Hi Just reading online about cold pressed dog food and reading about its benefits for a puppy and grown dog. Guru pet food looks a good source of information. Has anyone tried Guru or cold pressed food as a alternative to normal kibble?

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there,

I think I'd be more interested in what's in the food than how it is processed - I think the freeze dried kibbles look different, but that's because they are made without a carbohydrate source. Guru seems to be processed with rice like many other kibbles (and nothing necessarily wrong with that). I looked on the website, there isn't a lot of info about the various quantities of the different ingredients. Might be fine, of course, I didn't spend a lot of time looking.

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Gosh, I have never heard of cold pressed dog food and when I googled just now I could not find any sites in Canada. I could only see sites ending in .uk. Seems like a good idea to not use all that nutrient destroying heat. Sorry, no idea about the particular food, since the whole idea is new to me.

5. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

I contacted the manufactures of Guru food and must say they were very helpful. They claimed the cold press food process is a great compromise between dry kibble and a raw food diet. The theory been you get much more nutrition from the cold pressed food than normal kibble and still easy to feed in kibble form.

6. Boris

Boris Registered Users

How long would this food last ? I assumed the heat treatment was needed to kill any pathogens and in doing so the food would have a reasonable shelf life. How are pathogens eradicated from cold pressed food ?

7. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

It's says 8 months have no idea about the other bit ;)

8. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I'd be interested to know how they manage the different dietary requirements of a just weaned pup and those of an elderly dog or a fit and active adult in the same bag of food when it is generally accepted that the requirements of a young puppy are different to those of an adult

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2016
  9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

@MaccieD I had wondered that previously with regards to some of the 80/20s. I think its Orijin that says it is suitable from weaning although I may recall wrongly.

10. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Sorry, this a bit of a hack, but, is cold pressed the same thing as freeze dried? There wouldn't be the storage time limit then, would there?

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@drjs@5 Just had a look at Origin. In their dry food they have a Puppy and Puppy Large version but in Freeze Dried only adult versions. Seems strange but there you go......

12. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I use Zooplus's cold pressed foods, either Markus Muhle or Lukullus, whichever is on offer, Lucan is doing really well on it. I've had no problem with the food going off, although it's not a food you'd want to buy in bulk and store for months. It mustn't however be kept in an airtight container, or so it says on the Lukullus bag, I suppose it might sweat. TBH the Lukullus chicken & trout smells lovely, really meaty, and pleasant, it's Lucan's favourite! Oh and you need to weigh out your meal portions to start with as it weighs much heavier than normal kibble, so you feed a smaller amount quantity wise.

13. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I weigh out every portion of Juno's food, take the scales on holiday with me and when she had to spend a few days with our trainer in France while we were in the UK I weighed out her portions and bagged them in Ziploc bags ready for morning and evening. Over estimation is so easy and easy to avoid

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

They claimed the cold press food ....you get much more nutrition from the cold pressed food than normal kibble
    Can you verify by looking at the labels? The labels contain a fair amount of nutritional information - so compare the nutritional values between cold pressed food and various kibble? I personally doubt it is true. It is perfectly possible to create whatever nutritional values are desired in processed food (with the exception of excluding carbohydrate from most forms of kibble). I'd concentrate less on whether it is cold pressed or not, but whether the nutritional values are actually better. And you can see that from looking at the labels.

15. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I've just had a look at both products and according to the manufacturer for Juno's weight the recommendation is for the same weight of food - not that she ever gets close to that amount.

16. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

Here's the value for the guru food
    Ingredients List
    Dried Ground Beef (30%), Brown Whole Grain Rice (Thermally Pre-Treated) (29%), Dried Ground Sea Fish (7%), Sweet Potato (7%), Dried Poultry Liver, Maize Germ, Mixed Vegetables (Alfalfa, Broccoli, Carrots & Chicory), Mixture of Cold Pressed Vegetable Oils (Evening Primrose, Linseed & Rapeseed), Seaweed (Dried), Beet Pulp, Fish Oil (4%), Gelatine Powder, Dried Moor, Dried Fruits (Apples, Cranberries & Pears), Dried Herbs (Green Tea, Parsley & Rosemary), Yucca Schidigera (Dried), Garlic Powder, Pre Biotic (FOS, MOS), Dried Green Lipped Mussel Meat.

17. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

Then for something like skinners
    Ingredients List
    Chicken Meat Meal (min 30%), Maize, Chicken Fat, Brown Rice, Oats, Maize Gluten Meal, Sunflower Meal, Whole Linseed, Beet Pulp, Whole Dried Egg, Vitamins, Minerals and Trace Elements, Yeast, MOS.

Typical Analysis
    Protein 27%, Oil 18%, Fibre 2.5%, Ash8%. Nutritional Additives Per Kg: Vitamin A 25,000 IU, Vitamin D3 3,000 IU, Vitamin E (as Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate) 300 IU. Trace Elements Per Kg: Iron (as Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate) 10mg, Iodine (as Calcium Iodate Anhydrous) 2mg, Copper (as Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate) 5mg, Manganese (as Manganous Oxide) 40mg, Zinc (as Zinc Oxide) 100mg, Selenium (as Sodium Selenite) 0.1mg.

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, I'd say the analysis from Skinners is more informative - it's not possible to say whether it's better.

Both contain pretty much the same amount of dried ground protein (beef in the case of Guru, and Chicken in the case of Skinners).

Guru is rice based, Skinners is Maize based (as a lot of main stream kibbles, are Maize based).

The way the rest of the ingredients are listed are not comparable in that form, anyway.

I know this is my own bias, but at this point I just sort of revert to "kibble is kibble". If you want something really different, then feed raw....

19. boogs83

boogs83 Guest

It's interesting hearing all your opinions. As obviously I want what's best for our puppy but aka there's the cost factor. The cold pressed stuff is £18 a bag more expensive than say skinners.

20. Truffaut

Truffaut Registered Users

Hi, I'm very interested in knowing more about all these benefits and the manufacture process of Guru cold pressed food.
    Boogs83, how did you contact Guru food manufactures ?