Cold pressed dog foods

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Elspeth, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Elspeth

Elspeth Registered Users

Does anyone have any views on cold pressed dog foods which are becoming popular? They are meant to be more nutritious and more easily digestible due to the way in which they are prepared at lower temperatures. My vet was not keen to recommend a specific brand which I had tried on our lab as she felt they were unethical and misleading in their marketing. However I have read about another UK brand which has the pellets made in Germany and the reviews seem very positive. Our dog seemed to like the pellets although the quantity is much less than conventional dry kibble. This makes it cheaper overall.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Elspeth,

Welcome to the Forum,I hadn't heard of it so I've just googled it .....if the claims are true ( I've only read own brand blurb on the website) then it appears to be an attractive choice option if it suits your dog.The claim that it helps dogs that suffer from bloat could be interesting ,it also might have an impact on dogs with sensitive tummies if the kibble is more easily digestible?
    Let's see if any members reply that are using it.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I've used freeze-dried and air-dried kibble - same objective as cold pressed, it avoids the cooking temperatures needs to produce extruded kibble, and so people who think dogs shouldn't be fed cooked food favour this method of production. Also, some (not all) kibbles produced like this do not depend on carbohydrate in the process (most extruded kibble need carbohydrate) so you end up with a high protein, low carbohydrate food.

The one I used the most was ziwipeak, a freeze dried kibble. I have to say, it is astonishingly expensive and since I don't believe that either cooking or carbohydrate is terrible for dogs, I didn't continue to use it. Plus it gave Charlie horrible runny poo because it contained too many different protein sources. So much for freeze dried being better for a dog's digestion! :rolleyes:

5. Elspeth

Elspeth Registered Users

I would be interested to hear from anyone who is or has actually used cold pressed dog food. I used Farmfood HE which is made in The Netherlands. It does not get very good reviews whereas Guru (British company but made in Germany) gets excellent reviews on www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

6. Elspeth

Elspeth Registered Users

7. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

I have fed Saba on Guru, which he loved - initially. He wolfed his way through the trial pack, so I bought the larger size. There were no ill effects, no runny poo, and all seemed well until one night he absolutely refused to eat it! I tried feeding it wet, dry, with stock, with gravy, but nothing would induce him to eat. In fact, Saba now refuses all kibble, so he's on a raw diet which seems to suit him very well.

Guru is, in my opinion, expensive, but the customer service is excellent. I haven't studied the science behind cold-pressed kibble, but to my untutored eye (and nose), it looked and smelled good and was easy to measure and feed.

8. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I have fed Lucan on cold pressed food for several years now, he loves it!
    He spent 6 wks recently eating JWB instead as I had a just opened 18kg bag when I lost my Pointer. It certainly didn't suit him so well, his coat became flakey and dull, and there was much more poo both in quantity and numbers of. After changing back to the cold pressed his shine has come back and he's back down to pooing twice a day...much better!

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sigh...why would you trust some random web site that who know how they make their money (if you look they seem to make money by offering link throughs to buy dog food, probably on commission....)? Why do the reviews for the different foods differ, and do you agree with those reasons?