Collar..(no! Not lead walking!)

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Sep 15, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So, it's time to get Charlie a grown up collar at last - have managed up to now with an assortment of puppy bits and bobs, bought cheaply because he grew out of everything, and his harness of course.

I always intended to get him a nice leather collar at some point. But now I come to look at them, I'm not thrilled with the buckles, and rather like the snap fasteners on the nylon collars better, plus he is such a mud magnet, I bet leather might go all hard?

I dislike the jingle of tags, so was thinking to get a tag that slides onto the collar - hmm...but these don't seem to work with snap on fastenings...

What do people use?

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Collar..(no! Not lead walking!)

Soft collar with snap fastening ,2 jingling tags too ;D...I don't mind them as I can hear his surreptitious creeps upstairs.....and also at twilight in the park if he is investigating a bush I can hear him! ;D

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam has a sage green rope collar which matches his rope slip lead, it has a leather part with a buckle fastening and ring for his tag, I whip his collar off if I think he`s going to jump into water for a swim :)

4. Dexter

Ps Julie......fabric ones can go in the washing machine ...

5. David

David Registered Users

Nylon quick release here. It will open up and pull off if it snags. Like Kate I take it off when Lady is likely to go in water, and when we are training.

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=2566.msg25767#msg25767 date=1379244540]
    Soft collar with snap fastening ,2 jingling tags too ;D...I don't mind them as I can hear his surreptitious creeps upstairs.....and also at twilight in the park if he is investigating a bush I can hear him! ;D
    [/quote]

I'm with Julie all the way there - love the give away jingle - only you do get the inscription wearing away if its not deep.

I came across this website via FB - makes fabric collars with the flat name tags to order. The everyday ones are a reasonable price (and some of the fabric ones are gorgeous) Must admit I don;t have one, that would not go down well with the OH, got a plain Berry coloured one instead ;)

http://www.dogcollardesigns.co.uk/Everyday-Collars-and-Tags.html

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=2566.msg25788#msg25788 date=1379247222]

I came across this website via FB - makes fabric collars with the flat name tags to order.

[/quote]

Oooo - those Do look nice...just the ticket, I think!

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I could go mad buying stuff ::)
    Probably just as well I know OH would disapprove ;D ;D

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I have seen a metal quick release nylon collar that you can select the option to have your dogs details engraved on the metal part so no jingling. If you would like it let me know and I will PM you the details. Helen x

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=charlie link=topic=2566.msg25794#msg25794 date=1379248132]
    I have seen a metal quick release nylon collar that you can select the option to have your dogs details engraved on the metal part so no jingling. If you would like it let me know and I will PM you the details. Helen x
    [/quote]

Yes, please, Helen - I was just thinking that would be perfect...

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Julie, have just PM you the link. Helen x

12. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Day to day and around the house none of mine wear collars (pups included now). Around the village and on the moors they are on (or rather hanging around my neck) rope slip leads. Pups have quick release nylon collars with clip on rope leads for round the village and are progressing onto the slip leads. However, for going anywhere else - into town, to the vets etc they also have buckled leather collars with a riveted metal plate which is engraved with our details and clip on rope lead. After a spate of dog thefts I considered the retrieva collar for Hebe as she is sometimes left tied up outside shops in the local market town - usually within sight but not always. The thefts weren't in Pickering (the market town) but the Whitby area and fortunately they stopped so it's been put onto the maybe list.

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Very interesting reading about the retrieva collar....

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Gosh!
    Interesting collar. Pricey though no doubt worth it if you have a precious pedigree dogy. (not that they aren't all precious) :)

15. Dexter

Jacqui,I need you as my PA to read and summarise to me ;D you race through all the posts ,the perfect moderator ;D....anything that deviates from here,today for eg,Kerryns blog,rachael's vet lecture and now the retreiva collar takes me until the next weekend to catch upon! ;D.......and my day starts at 5 am.........still! ;D

16. Dexter

Ooohhh just made time to look up the collars though......pretty fine,love a bit of accessory shopping for the furry one! X

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Clearly I am on here too much! ;D ;D
    Actually, I just realised last week that if you just click on the red New Post bit it takes you directly to the.....new post! duh! Cuts down some time.
    I usually have 20 mins in the morning over breakfast to catch up, but I think if you miss a few days its awful :eek: Withdrawal symptoms! :eek:

I have a mountain of ironing I am constantly trying to avoid..........

18. Dexter

Can't see a red new post....? I'm guilty of avoiding the ironing and quite a few other chores as well! .I know I hate missing what everyone's up to if im not able to pop on.if I spent as much time training Dexter as I do on here we could have both flown home to participate in the 2014,Hunting Season.....with success.... ;D

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I haven't done any ironing for 2 months - but who cares, it's Cornwall (I mean that in a hugely positive way, love the place). I just wore all my clothes, and then faced with the choice of wearing creased clothes or iron, I decided smooth material was overrated... gosh, going to get such a shock next week adjusting back to London...

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Julie, just wondered if that link I sent you for the metal clip collars was any good as they were patterned, but I did have another thought about the link that Jac gave you for the plain nylon metal clip, you could get one of those and just take it to Timpsons to get the buckle engraved this would be a cheaper option. Just a thought :) Helen x