Collars/leads for 3+ month old puppies

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by Debs, May 31, 2014.

1. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hi, Maisie is about to grow out of her "puppy" collar that I bought for her when she was 8 weeks old. Just been to the local pet shop who had a very uninspiring selection of collars, most of which were far too big.

Can anyone suggest what type of collar and lead I should be buying as on-line there is a massive choice, and I will probably buy the wrong thing (again ::)!! Being tall, I find the standard length lead is too short for me for lead walking, but I'm not keen on the extending leads.

Thank you :)

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Collars/leads for 3+ month old puppies

I mostly use the pet-shop collars to try out for size so I know what to order online.
    I assume you are looking for a nylon style one?

There are HUGE numbers of companies out there selling collars
    I must admit I like the Trixie collar because of the Berry colour but for something special I love the Dog Collar Designs site who do sets and I am sure could customise a lead to suit you. I can't vouch for them personally as I have never ordered just looked longingly.

I prefer nylon as my pooch is always needing collar washed due to rolling activities.
    And I prefer a quick release clip rather than a buckle - though if your dog pulls a lot a buckle could be more secure as the adjustable-ness of the nylon collar/clips can make them stretch a bit.
    There are loads of good leather collars around too, but you might want to invest in one of those when your dog is full grown as they can be more of a pricey investment.

Don't know if that is any help?

3. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I love the Rogz collars, Penny has two lol. I'm not sure what the smaller sizes are like but I assume they are the same good quality as the medium size that I have for Penny. They have a large ring for attaching a tag and lead, and the clip is strong and has an additional bit that you slide across to 'lock' it in place.

Hunter collars are also brilliant. They're Dutch I think so can be difficult to get hold of in the UK but they are really good quality, lovely colours and the clip is stainless steel so nice and strong. Pretty sure they are on amazon.

With regards to leads a double ended one might be good for you if you find normal ones too short as you vary the length of it just by clipping it in a different place. This is the one I use, the fabric is lovely and comfortable, even when wet.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001RBE2I2?pc_redir=1401319595&robot_redir=1

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=Penny+Me link=topic=6340.msg83825#msg83825 date=1401560498]
    Hunter collars are also brilliant. They're Dutch I think so can be difficult to get hold of in the UK but they are really good quality, lovely colours and the clip is stainless steel so nice and strong. Pretty sure they are on amazon.
    [/quote]

You can get them on Ebay too :D x

5. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Still weeks away from actually using it but I have bought a 5 way lead (I think); you can put it to use in 5 ways, so you can have a longish lead as one of the ways. It's a Halti.

6. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Thank you, great advice and ideas as usual! ;D ;D