Colours?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by drjs@5, Nov 14, 2012.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I have read it somewhere here, but can't for the life of me find it again!
    Which colours are most easily seen by dogs?
    Whilst Lilly is snoring after her latest attempt to catch a hare ::) I am doing a bit of christmas shopping. I'm looking for a new toy we could maybe tempt her with to retrieve on walks. Thinking about flapping wings and such like on dummies (hmmm...maybe not.....) came to the thought of possibly one of those squeaky Wubba Kong thingys that have tail-like bits that might flap a little on throwing. I know its not quite a flapping bird, but I am trying!
    I remember there are some colours that are hard for dogs to see but easy for humans - I need something that is easy for both of us!
    Can someone remember the colours? I would be grateful!
    Jacqui

2. Sharon

Sharon Registered Users

Re: Colours?

Hello Jacqui,
    Orange is hardest for the dog to see but easy for us. Very pale light colours are easiest for a dog to see. We use the back and white rubber dummies as the contrast in the two colours is good. As for the Kong Wubba we have a yellow neoprene one for the water which the dogs love to shake and slap themselves in the face with the tails ;D

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We use a black and White dummy and a purple one.....I think they're both good. From memory they're from the working dog company :)

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Thanks guys!
    I will avoid orange, maybe look around a bit.
    Perhaps I should just go for a dummy and add some tails!
    Ta
    Jac

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I use an orange dummy and actually find it very useful. It means Poppy cant see it so easily, and so uses her nose to hunt for it (which is what she really, really loves doing). And if she (most unusually) cant find it - it's easy for me to find!

6. David

David Registered Users

Me too. Orange dummy. I think it's more young puppies that have real trouble with orange. Lady seems to be able to spot it fine once she's scented it if it's in full view.

7. Sharon

Sharon Registered Users

Good point Karen, orange is good to keep up your sleeve as a challenge once they have developed their skills.

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I never even thought about what colours they see best when we got Sams dummy, mind you, it was a really stupid colour choice considering its used in grassy areas , green ::)

9. David

David Registered Users

They don't stay the original colour long though. I've got a green one that is mud coloured and an orange one that is mud coloured and one with pheasant feathers that is mud coloured and a small black dog that is mostly mud coloured. ::)

10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

[quote author=David link=topic=892.msg4796#msg4796 date=1352977495]
    They don't stay the original colour long though. I've got a green one that is mud coloured and an orange one that is mud coloured and one with pheasant feathers that is mud coloured and a small black dog that is mostly mud coloured. ::)
    [/quote]

:) :) Got to admit, ours is rather khaki coloured now ::)

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Have to admit I've become a huge fan of the rubber orange dummy... It is much easier to wash and keep clean.

Doesnt seem to help much with keeping the dog clean, though... :)

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I'm still undecided but something washable does appeal!
    I'll look and see what rubber ones are available I think.
    ;D
    Ta
    Jac

13. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

I find the plastic dokken-type ones the easiest to throw, if that matters to you. (I have terribly puny arms!). Their white one is easy to spot for all of us :)