Come on Casper...

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Beanwood, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Casper is very, very ill.
    We brought him in to our local veterinary hospital as an emergency about 5.30 am. Benson woke me, and I went downstairs to find Casper semi conscious, and in acute respiratory distress.
    The emergency vet was lovely, but very pessimistic. We went home feeling awful.
    Anyhow, he has phoned, saying that Casper is holding his own...to quote his words " He is amiable chap, and wagging his tail, we suspect though he will be wagging it with his last breath". Just really sums up our wonderful boy.
    They have completed a raft of tests..will be doing more once more staff arrive on the day shift. The priority was to figure out what was going on, and could they save him. We don't know yet it they can, however some of the results have come back OK, but they need to build a more complete picture first. He has a pneumonia of some sort, and they need to establish what condition his heart is in.
    We are both completely devastated, we always know he would only be with us for a short time, but please God, we know you love him, but please can we have him a little longer?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh Kate, I'm so, so sorry. I can't tell you how much me and Charlie will be rooting for Casper. Hugs to you and your family - such a worrying time for you.

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh Kate,I'll be watching to hear more news,I'm so so sorry,my best wishes to you and Marcus.....I really hope they can help your gorgeous boy xxxxx

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

So sorry to hear this awful news. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and everything crossed fir some positive news soon.

What a clever boy Benson is to wake you up to come and help Casper.

Bruer likes this.
  5. Dexter

I can't stop thinking about you Kate, sending a hug x

6. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I keep writing, deleting and re writing my post.

No idea what to say other than we're thinking about you and have everything crossed that Casper pulls through xxx

JulieT and Dexter like this.
  7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Me too....don't know what else to write though, but very much thinking of Casper....

Dexter likes this.
  8. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Everything crossed for Casper here. Thinking of you. x

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

In my thoughts Kate , I cant imagine how you must be feeling , so sorry x

10. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Oh Kate I'm so sorry. Poor casper. I do so hope you post back with good news. Everything crossed here. COME ON CASPER xx

11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I'm so sorry. Thinking of you and willing him to pull through. x

12. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Sending good thoughts the Vet figures this out quickly and Casper is back home soon.

13. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

You lot are amazing, thank you so much for all your support!:heart:

We have just heard from the vet, and he is still with us. The vets seem on top of this, which is reassuring. He has had a couple of coronary scans as there is some fluid around his heart. The problem looks mainly respiratory though, and looking more like aspiration pneumonia. That's not good for Casper as his lungs weren't in good condition to start with.

They are still stabilising him, he is on fluids and IV antibiotics plus other stuff I can't even remember! When things are settled they are considering a pulmonary lavage, I guess this is to get a definitive diagnosis.

It is still early days, however I am feeling a little bit more optimistic than this morning. They love Casper there, every-time anyone walks by he gives them a little wag of his tail.

Will get another update later this afternoon.

Naya, MaccieD, drjs@5 and 1 other person like this.
  14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Very, very glad to hear that! Still thinking of Casper and his family and sending the warmest chocolate vibes from here that Casper feels better very soon!

Beanwood likes this.
  15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Couldn't stop thinking of Casper this morning.
    Hugs to you all :heart:
    Keep looking for updates, hoping no news is good news xxx

Beanwood likes this.
  16. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Lovely casper. Keep thinking positive veterinary drugs can work like magic. xx

Beanwood likes this.
  17. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Cant get you and yours off my mind today Kate , everything else seems inconsequential , take care of yourselves through all of this , hugs xxx

Beanwood likes this.
  18. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

So sorry Casper is going through this, sending love and hugs x

19. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Have just this moment read this, it came as a shock, I am so sorry. The latest news looks more promising, so I am hoping with all my heart that he can recover. He is loved by so many, sending the strongest of good wishes for him and thinking of you both.

20. Dexter

Ah thanks for coming on Kate,we are all watching and waiting for news ....bless that boy and the fighting he's doing ,your Vet practice and staff sound lovely and that's just what you need at the moment,biggest hug, keep wagging Casper xxxxx