Coming back

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Sharon Cairns, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Sharon Cairns

Sharon Cairns Registered Users

Hi I have a 13 month old black lab male and he has started not coming back when I let him off any tips please

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Work through the exercises in Total Recall. Fantastic book.

Harley Quinn likes this.
  3. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

I can totally agree, Harley's recall was okay but we ordered the book and it is so good. I highly, highly recommend it to everyone.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome Sharon from Hattie 10 years and our rescue boy Charlie 6 years. I absolutely recommend Total Recall. Charlie was a nightmare and had zero recall when we got him at 9 months, we worked through Total Recall and he is a very good boy now :) Nipping this behaviour in the bud is absolutely necessary as self rewarding is a very difficult thing to re-train. x

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Ditto to the Total Recall advice. In addition, up your rewards - have some really juicy roast chicken or similar in your treat pouch.

Johnny Walker likes this.
  6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Agree that Total Recall is a great training book. As well as upping the value of food rewards, I'd do a lot more play with you during walks, so that you become his centre of attention. I also rewarded, with food, any voluntary check-ins from my dog -I mean any time he returns near to you when you haven't called him.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

So true and it's worth it's weight in gold if you can be the centre of your dog's world. I've had a friend looking after my dogs for the past couple of weeks while we've been away. We got back last night and he said the puppy was annoying because she never ran off to do her own thing on walks and stayed with him all the time. I was chuffed to bits; that's exactly what I want - for her to be looking to me for her fun, rather than to her environment.

Sven, drjs@5, Joy and 2 others like this.
  8. AlaskaSkeeter

AlaskaSkeeter Registered Users

I like to condition recall with food as a good habit with puppies:

I exted this and also teach them a silent recall whenever I stop:

Recall should be fun for the dog....upbeat handler

snowbunny likes this.