coming of age? or what?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by caroleb, Dec 18, 2012.

1. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

I'm not sure what the basis of this issue is and dithered where to put it - so forgive me if it should be off topic!

For the last few weeks Teasle has had really bad wind and the vet gave her some probiotics - which haven't worked.

Rusty for the last few weeks has been increasingly interested in Teasle's back end and this last few days has been repeatedly trying to mount her and is constantly licking her - she is rolling over and letting him. She can't be coming into season as she had one just a couple of months ago - only her second even though she is 2 1/2.

I'm not sure whether this is Rusty growing up - he's 2 on Sunday (can you believe that I can't!) a scent from her that is exciting to him maybe maybe not connected to her upset tum or she really is the most erratic hormoned bitch and is having another season?

Rusty isn't usually that interested in bitches - yes he'll have a sniff but isn't keen in the way many entire males are.

thoughts?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: coming of age? or what?

Hi Carole , it is rare but not unheard of for a bitch to have more than two seasons a year, sorry ::) A friend had a bitch who had four a year until they finally settled down ,so best keep an eye on both of them ;)
    Re the wind situation, try giving her some charcoal biscuits , they often help and good luck !

3. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Oh gosh I hope not Kate she's due to be spayed in January, the last time was madness - fingers crossed it isn't that...

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Feeling rotten now for telling you, but better armed with the info, but it is rare Carole so dont panic, yet x

5. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Hi Carole
    Sorry, my first bitch had three seasons in a year, the first two within four months of each other - made timing her spay rather awkward. She was a late developer and started at just over two, all my others have started earlier and have been reasonably regular at 6-8 months apart.
    There used to be some dreadful smelling stuff called anti-mate spray, don't know if it's still around. It had a strong chemically lemon smell but it really did work, fortunately I've not needed it since but it might be worth having a google.
    For her wind two suggestions, slippery elm powder either in capsules or mixed into honey and given with her food or as a treat -warning it's expensive but it works. Second idea finely diced (fresh if you can get it) parsley and dill in equal quantities mixed into honey balls a few fennel seeds help too but they tend to make the balls less palatable.
    Fingers crossed for you.