Conchita - adventures in fostering

Discussion in 'Labrador Rescue' started by snowbunny, Oct 16, 2017.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Hope it goes well xxx

snowbunny likes this.
  2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sniff, sniff, that honestly made me cry with sadness at the start but huge happiness at the end :). It's so heartwarming to watch Conchita blossom before our eyes, to see how shut down she was to this outgoing, happy lady is AMAZING. I wish her nothing but the best for her life because she is a special girl :inlove::heart::heart::heart: xxx

MF and snowbunny like this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

Will the Go Fund Me page cover the costs Fiona or is there more fundraising needed?

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  4. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Yes, that was what I was thinking? How are we doing fund wise? :)

Will be on tenterhooks Thursday....

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

There's a fund page? I haven't seen it :( xx

6. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

Fiona had a link to a funding site on her personal Facebook page :) This hasn’t been put up on the forum at this point though.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh I see. I don't have Facebook. Thanks Rachael xx

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

We're almost exactly even at the moment. I need to budget transport costs to the UK, but I think I can cover those, and hopefully there won't be too much in the way of complications, so I'm hoping we're all good :)

Don't worry, Helen, I was keeping it rather low-profile at first, as we hadn't yet adopted her when I did the fundraising. I didn't even publish it on my own FB because I had to keep it under the radar; I just asked a few friends to share it for me. The mods were kind enough to suggest I share it on here, but to be honest, the response was so immediate and overwhelming that I had raised most of my target in the space of 36 hours! It was incredible! I know you guys would have been really generous contributors because you're all invested in her story, so I hope you don't feel upset that you didn't have the chance, it was simply about timing.

We had a lovely walk this evening. I've been thinking that she'll have to do some lead walks when she's in the UK and that's something that will be completely alien to her, so we'll have to practice. She tends to run ahead a few paces, then run back, or lag behind and catch up, so I started encouraging her to walk at my side. Early days and she's a touch jumpy being in that position, so we'll take it slowly. We did about 20m of it, that was enough. In other news, though, throughout the rest of the walk, I worked on bits and bobs with the Labs and Conchita chose to stay with J. Their bond is really strengthening, which is lovely to watch.

Granca, Karen, Kelsey&Axel and 4 others like this.
  9. Jazzmynn

Jazzmynn Registered Users

What a beautiful video. And her smile..omg, she lights up a room now!! Great job and good luck on Thursday.

snowbunny likes this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I understand Fiona, I am just so glad you to raised the funds, how amazing are people :) I'm not upset but I would have been had I missed out on doing my little bit for her. Conchita has stolen
    our hearts :heart:but I wish there was more we could do for the other poor dogs you visit. I so wish they could all find their forever home, especially at this time of year :( xx

Stacia likes this.
  11. snowbunny

In light of the unexpected cost of her surgery, I've increased the target on my GoFundMe campaign. I do feel that the extra cost of surgery in the hospital in Barcelona over having it done at our local vet surgery is justified; they have the best trained orthopaedics team and the best equipment, so she'll be getting the best care possible, no question.

The outstanding costs, assuming no complications, are just in taking her back to the UK, which is expensive. From here, it will cost around one thousand euros if I take her myself. I could certainly have her shipped far cheaper, but I really think that would be so scary for her, and I have no doubt that the best option is to drive her myself, so I can have a few days' handover to help her settle in to her new life. I've included the link to the campaign in my signature so if anyone would like to contribute to her onwards journey, it's there. If there is anything left over, we will put it towards helping the other dogs in the shelter, of course.

In other news, Dad has been brought into the loop and he's happy with everything. It's still being talked about in terms of fostering at this stage, but he said "Yes, but it won't be just a foster, will it?" :D

There was a bitter-sweet moment last night when J was giving her a cuddle and I heard him say to her, "If we didn't have to go to Andorra, you'd stay with us forever.". Bless him, even though she's been quite wary of him, he's so fond of her. I think he might shed a tear when she leaves (but won't let us see, because he's a real man).

Sven, Granca, Kelsey&Axel and 8 others like this.
  12. Oberon

I think we’ll all shed a tear at that point.

Kelsey&Axel, snowbunny, BevE and 4 others like this.
  13. snowbunny

Conchita is going through what I can only describe as an adolescent phase! She's fully settled in now and is gaining in confidence, meaning she's happy to start investigating more. She's not been back up on the work tops again, but has made moves to do so a couple of times, which I've distracted her from. She's also tried breaking through the baby gate a couple of times. Mischief girl. Yesterday on our evening walk she was right behind me in the woods just before I popped out onto a wider trail. She didn't appear, so I waited, assuming she had a smell and would catch us up, then I heard her barking on the other side of the trail! She must have sneaked out of the woods behind my back as I was looking at where I thought she'd appear, and go off after a scent. I didn't know if the bark was an "I'm lost" bark, so I called, but she didn't appear. I wasn't worried, I knew she'll come back and there were no dangers about, but this was very new behaviour. After a couple of minutes, I saw her happy face pop up above the thick grass, so I called. The face disappeared (it's very long grass) and I assumed she was on the way back. But no, obviously just checking to see I was still there while she went back to her smell. A minute or so later, she came bouncing back, happy as Larry. I think that the barking was from flushing a rabbit - Podencos apparently bark when they find game. The whole thing only lasted a few minutes, and I was never concerned, just thinking, man, this is like having a teenager!

On this morning's walk, it continued a bit. Her little independent streak is coming out :D
    No running off, but she took a few paces down a track we weren't going on. I called her name and she stopped and looked at me, then looked back. I squeaked, squatted and waved my arms like a maniac. She took another long look down the track, then turned and ran towards me. Lots of using the "come" cue as she came towards me and oodles of praise for a good choice. I'm going to have to get my parents a copy of Total Recall!

It's Conchita's last day as a quadruped today, which I'm feeling a bit sad about. I know it's daft, and it's definitely the right thing for her (we've investigated it enough, after all), but it still feels so final. She's so happy at the moment and the surgery is obviously going to bring her down for a while and that will be my doing. It's silly, I know it's silly, but it still feels like a breach of trust.

Granca, MF, drjs@5 and 2 others like this.
  14. Oberon

I’m sure it’s a bittersweet call.... The short term will be a bit tough but the long term prospect is going to be so much better. Being pain free will be such an incredible relief.

She’ll probably become even more confident once she can move without pain.

snowbunny likes this.
  15. BevE

BevE Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh Snowbunny, while there will be some short-term discomfort,Conchita will be much better off without that awful leg causing her such pain. You do know this and you are not breaching her trust at all.
    I’ll be thinking of you both tomorrow and will be glad when it is over and Conchita is home with you. Love and hugs xx

snowbunny likes this.
  16. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

We'll all be thinking of Conchita and you tomorrow xxx

snowbunny likes this.
  17. snowbunny

Thanks all :)

Oh, dear god :cwl:

drjs@5 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I'm glad she has a 'naughty' side to her, heaven knows she's waited long enough - you go Conchita but not too far ;) xx

All the luck in the word lovely lady :inlove: I will be thinking about you Fiona and 'J' tomorrow. Lots of :hug::hug::hug: to you all xxx

snowbunny likes this.
  19. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Just think where she may be able to get when her legs better :eek::eek:

Good luck lovely Conchita. Thinking of you all xx

snowbunny likes this.
  20. snowbunny

She has such a funny character, full of mischief and joy. She was busy licking her kong earlier - she adores kongs! - and then suddenly started pouncing on it, play bowing and growling at it. Hysterical! I wish I'd managed to capture it on video, but as soon as I moved, she stopped. You would easily think she was a puppy sometimes from the way she acts. So full of life :)

SwampDonkey, Kelsey&Axel and charlie like this.