1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Conformation testing/showing

Discussion in 'Ringcraft and Showing' started by Kobe, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

Our lab is only young (12 weeks) so this is advance information gathering.

What is required to participate in a conformation test/show? I mean, in terms of what your dog must "do." I know about stacking and angulation but I have not yet been able to find any information about what other things are tested and how. Like, a checklist of sorts.

I do know he can participate after 6mo old and I am hoping to do this with him in the late summer/ early autumn when he is 7-8 months old.

I'm not bothered about winning (would be a nice bonus!!), it's about completing a goal, something for me and pup to work on together. As of August he will be coming to work with me often and needs to have passed his conformation to be allowed free/unsupervised roam.

I've contacted our local lab club association for information but the person responsible is out of the country for 6 weeks.

Thank you

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Have moved your post for you.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It will vary a bit from country to country. I have dabbled with showing in the UK and Spain.

There’s very little your dog has to “do”. Basically, you need to train your pup to stand in a free stack facing you. He needs to be able to hold this for a short while, but you will break him out of it and re-stack him every now and again because otherwise it goes “flat”. So you need to keep an eye on the judge and even he is looking at you, get your pup set up to look his best.
    Then you need him to be able to trot, preferably on a loose lead, in straight lines. You will probably be asked to run the perimeter of the ring - make sure you do this in a series of straight lines rather than rounding off the corners. You may also be asked to run on the diagonal across the ring and in a straight line away from and back towards the judge. Your job is to get your speed right to ensure your puppy stays in a trot rather than changing to a pace or a different gait. Some dogs naturally trot, others need work to do it. Look up on YouTube for videos that show the different gaits and how you can identify them.

Then, your dog needs to be able to stand in a stack while being inspected. This means the judge will run his hands all over the dog’s body (including feeling the testicles in the case of a male) and check his teeth. Your dog should be relaxed during this examination to demonstrate good temperament.

Lastly, but most importantly, they will be looking for a dog that is happy and enjoying being in the ring, so make sure your training is a positive, fun experience. And give him some experience of stacking next to other puppies; you don’t want him jumping all over the others and disrupting them - although a bit of this is to be expected in the puppy classes :)

It’s not judging for obedience, it’s conformation and temperament that’s being assessed, so don’t worry too much, just go have fun!

4. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

Great - thank you so much for that!!!