confusion over eating, meals and some loose poos!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lozzz31, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Hi everyone,
    Here are todays 'Ziggy' questions! I hope someone might have some insight! He's been on four meals a day until now and this week we've changed to three larger meals a day (he's 12 weeks old). Over the last few weeks he's had the occasional bout of diarrhea but not consistently and mostly his business is quite well formed and solid. Today he's had two really runny poos and I'm wondering whether it might be because we've changed from four to three meals?
    Also, we have a plum tree in the garden which has loads of windfalls and it's quite difficult to pick them all up (our garden is a bit wild!). I'm sure he's eaten a couple of these plums, if not more!
    I've tried to ease up on the treats and just feed kibble for training so that his diet settles down a bit but this is the dog who eats everything he can fit in his mouth! I can't realistically keep him in a pen in the garden as he's a bundle of energy and it upsets him to be penned in but I'm concerned about the runny bum!
    He's fine in himself - playing and chewing as normal, with plenty of energy and sleeping well too. Should I be concerned?

2. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

I am not an expert by any means seeming I have just gotten my first pup, but I have seen some people say that soft or runny poos can be because they are eating a large amount of food. I feel as though the runny poos would make sense with switching to three larger meals. When we were still getting down the right amount of food for Aspen, he would have runny poos when he got more than a cup at feeding time. Now, he eats 1 cup of food 3 times a day and his poos are fairly solid. Occasionally he still has a soft one!

Lozzz31 likes this.
  3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes.

With two of my pups I've had to change from four to three meals really gradually - and again from three to two at six months old.

With Mollie I had to move a gram a day or her poos would 'loosen'.

The plums are also a likely cause, I would also worry about plum stones causing a blockage. I would pick them all up.

:)

Lozzz31 likes this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

It could be the food - or the plums!
    I have a plum tree too and its so difficult to get them all/observe for eating opportunities - particulaarly on a windy day.
    I would revert back to 4 meals, if you can, see if it settles.
    And do your best with the plums.
    I know Lilly spits 99% of them out, but I have heard horror stories of them causing obstructions too.

Lozzz31 likes this.
  5. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Thanks for the advice guys - guess who's going on a plum hunt tomorrow!

drjs@5 likes this.