Contemplating the patter of 4 paws again!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lynabby, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Lynabby

Lynabby Registered Users

Our breeder has told us she is hopeful of another litter early next year, by which time Abby will be two. We would love another puppy and Abby is an extremely friendly fun-loving girl. The parents will be the same as Abby's. I've been told this is not a good idea but Abby has had a number of get-togethers with her litter mates and they get along really really well. Lots of rough and tumble and flashing teeth but never any nastiness. Does anybody have any experience with this situation?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I haven't heard of this before , and really cant see any reason why two from same parentage shouldn't be absolutely fine , so don't worry ! Obviously , they shouldn't be bred from as close relatives , but that's the only no-no as far as I`m aware ! The age difference is spot on as Abby is still young and playful , so good luck x

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Of course it’s a good idea. They don’t know they are relatives!

It’s having two very young pups the same age which isn’t a great idea.

How exciting for you, it’s a perfect gap imo.

:)

4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

It sounds wonderful. Good luck if you go ahead with it. We're all obviously looking forward to puppy pics ;);)

You're probably confusing it with "Litter Mate Syndrome" which applies to 2 or more dogs of the same age being brought up together, which can be difficult.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Sounds like great fun and, as the others have said, the people who are telling you it's not a good idea are probably confused about "litter mate syndrome" which, despite the name, isn't anything to do with the puppies being related, rather it can affect any two puppies who are of very similar age brought up in the same household.

6. Lynabby

Lynabby Registered Users

Thank you everybody for your supportive comments. I hope our next fur baby is as absolutely gorgeous as Abby. She's the darling of the local dog park!