Cooling Pad

Discussion in 'Using the bargains and best buys section' started by Jagger, May 28, 2016.

1. Jagger

Jagger Registered Users

Has anyone tried or can recommend a cooling pad for our 2 year yellow lab. We live in Southern Utah and he has quite the time cooling off after our walks. Thank you.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I own a couple of cooling pads, and I think they are pretty hopeless. The best thing I have for a dog cooling off after walks is water. When I'm in Cornwall, that's ending the walk at the beach or river. In London, when all the water dries up on the Common, I have a Kirbal paddling pool in the garden, and he lays in it and splashes around. Does the trick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pet-Pool-...-Tough-and-Sturdy-80-120-160-CM-/172164390947

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

The cooling pad I have basically takes heat away from the dog but once the gel is warmed by the dog it doesn't take any additional heat out.

My vets advice was running cold water over the dogs legs as that was greatest surface area to volume and would cool the blood in the legs which then continues round the body.

I also have a pool I've taught my spaniel to get into as he really feels the heat. Apart from that I avoid exercise in the heat of the day.

Cath likes this.
  4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I have one called a "chillow" for myself, the company also makes dog beds. It works the same way as above @bbrown and I would not buy it again.

5. Jesslay

Jesslay Registered Users

I bought one, but it didn't make any difference. Dogs cool down by their bellies/underneath, so I just make sure they can have a " lie" in water at the end of a walk or lie on a wet towel. Fortunately in this country we can escape walking in the heat of the day ( usually about 350 days of the year;)) and I have a lot of tiled flooring in my house so it is cooler for the pupsters. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

6. MF

MF Registered Users

I have two cooling mats for Snowie and they are GREAT! We keep them in our bedroom because our bedroom is carpeted and there's no cool surface (like tiles) for him to cool off on in our bedroom. He moves around our bedroom at night, first lying on the gel mats, but once cool he goes to lie on his cushion. Back and forth, I guess cool down, get cosy, cool down, get cosy.

They do warm up eventually. But if left to cool down, they work again -- and you can put them in the freezer if you need to speed up the process. My understanding is that the gel is first in a crystalised form that melts when in contact with temperatures of 27 C or higher. As the crystals melt, they draw heat and it feels freezing. I know cos I tried using it myself and it was much too cold for me, couldn't bare it after a few minutes, yet Snowie will happily lie on them for ages.

However, in the heat of summer he likes to have access to go outside to our balcony at night, he is not satisfied with just the mats. If you are worried and desperately need to cool your dog down, cover your dog with a wet cloth and aim a fan on him -- the evaporating water is very cooling.

These are the mats I ordered: http://bellacomforts.co.za/ They're 40cmx40cm (quite small) so I got two. I've had them about 2 years and they've worn well except for two small punctures from Snowie's nails, but duct tape fixed them.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I have two and, although I was impressed at first, I've decided they're not that good after all. We have tiles throughout out house in Spain, and the dogs prefer to lie on those. A couple of months back, it was very hot at night and I couldn't sleep, so I figured I'd try the cool mat. It was heaven! So lovely and cold. Sadly, it lasted no more than ten minutes, then I was left lying on a warm rubber mat, sweating like crazy!

8. MF

MF Registered Users

A good reason not to confine a dog, say to a crate, with these mats covering the whole surface. Like Snowie, they need to be able to move to another surface, either to warm up, or cool down if the mat has got warm (yes, the plastic does feel hot when it warms up). But 10 mins? Ours last a lot longer -- I always feel the mat when I get into bed (Snowie would've been sleeping on them for a while already), and they're still very cold. Perhaps some makes are better than others, although how does one know? The ones I bought were so cheap (then, price has gone up) that I decided I had nothing to lose -- and they've turned out great.