Cooling pads

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by Kobe, May 30, 2018.

1. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

Does anyone use a cooling pad/floor mat for their dog? Temps have hit mid to high 30s here and our puppy is so sad.... he spends his days alone in the cooler kitchen on the tile floor. Doesn't want to be with us because the kitchen is a bit cooler. It's making us all sad!

I've seen cooling pads on amazon but not sure if they are any good. Aldi has them on tomorrow so we will go and take a look...but I'm not sure an Aldi one will be any good.

Do the cooling pads help at all? Pup is overheating :(

2. MF

MF Registered Users

Yes, we have them. They get really cold. But not for long, so you’ll want a few so that your dog can move from one to the other as they warm up to his body temp. We have two in the bedroom - it’s carpeted and Snowie gets hot at night.

The way they work is the crystals “melt” at temps above 27C and draw heat as they turn to liquid. But once liquid, they no longer draw heat and then get warm. You can pop them in the freezer to get crystallized again, although we don’t bother; they eventually work their magic given time.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I have used them, but threw them out last year. My dogs all preferred to lay on the floor tiles than on the mats! They did get really cold, but only for a few minutes and then you're just lying on a plastic mat. I used one one night when I was suffering from the heat (we don't have AC yet, and didn't even have electricity for a fan at that point) and it was wonderful for about ten or fifteen minutes, but then became very uncomfortable very quickly because they don't breathe at all. Of course, dogs have their coats so it's not like they'd get the same horrible sweatiness that I got from my skin being against a plastic mat, but still they didn't seem overly impressed!

4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I have a cool mat for Jen that she loves. It's usually in the dining room but I also bring it into the garden on the patio for her to relax on in the shade. Seems to be quite effective for cooling- in fact I had to remove it the other week when Jen was very unwell as she was shivering while sitting on it :eek: . There are lots of different mats on the market so effectiveness could depend on brand etc but haven't experienced any sweatiness as mentioned by @snowbunny when I've tried Jen's mat.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hehe, well the temperature was in the mid 30s in the middle of the night and I was laying naked on it. That's probably not going to be a situation most people find themselves in :D
    Just sitting on it, or even laying on it wearing clothes I can't say I got sweaty, but the non-breathability of it meant it was like sitting with bare skin against a leather sofa or plastic chairs when it's hot. Not nice when it's soooo hot you just want to get into a fridge and sleep there.

In any event, the main factor for me getting rid of them was that the dogs just weren't interested. The mats worked fine, they just didn't care. My sister's spaniel has one that he likes to use when they take him on holiday so I guess it depends if it floats the dog's boat or not.

It's worth giving it a go. They're all filled with the same stuff so the endothermic reaction that causes the cooling will be the same whether it's an Aldi one or a Harrods one - it will just be the finish that's different quality. You might as well try it out with a cheap version to see if your dog gets on with it before splashing out for something more expensive.

6. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Too much info ..... :D:D:D

7. Kobe

Kobe Registered Users

Well he successfully popped the cooling mat after a few hours and ate the gel. Ugh.