Cooper's Vet visit

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Teena Ann, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Teena Ann

Teena Ann Registered Users

Cooper doesnt goes to the vet often in fact he doesnt go at all bcoz his health is in top shape and he has a vet who comes home to check on him incase somethings wrong. All of a sudden he started to drink lots of water, stopped eating, vomitted thrice and a loose stool i was taken aback bcoz its not somethin what i expected from a dog who is in top shape and has never been to the vet except to get his shots anyway ituk him to the vet and he suggested an Xray to be taken which was done and im awaiting its results..he also tld that Coop must be given IV(300ml) and 2 injections since he was a lil weak from the vomitting incident and so i watched him bein given fluids for which Coop never seemed to cooperate but managed to get him to do so and then finally got his weight checked he weighs 27kgs which was surprising to me as he doesnt luk like he weighs but i was happy and go him back home.. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) waitng for his results as i keep my fingers crossed :-\ :-\ :-\

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Cooper's Vet visit

Sorry to hear Cooper isn't too well Teen Ann, I will keep my fingers crossed for a good result. What is the vet looking for on the X-Ray? 27kg sounds excellent to me and quite often slender dogs don't look their weight. My boy Charlie is very tall and sleek and weighs 30 kgs but I don't think he looks that much so I guess he must have a lot of muscle. Let us know how Cooper gets on. Take care xxx

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Sorry he's poorly Teena Ann,is the X-ray something to do with his hips,I haven't heard of an X-ray for a vomiting episode,let us know what comes back in his results.im glad he coped well with the vet visit,it sounds like he had quite a lot of treatment,the fluids will do him the world of good xxx

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It does sound odd Teena - did the vet think there might be a blockage that would show up on x-ray or something? In which case, though, I thought it was urgent to treat blockages so it's odd you now have to wait. When do you get the results?

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hiya Teena.
    Sorry to hear Cooper isn't well. I hope the sickness has stopped with the injections.
    I am guessing the x-ray would be to check for something causing an obstruction - a ball or a bit of bone or something like that.
    Hoping he gets back to his normal self - let us know how he is doing when you can xx

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Fingers crossed for Cooper and you, let us know how he gets on :)

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hope Cooper gets better soon and the vet finds out what's wrong with him soon x

8. Dexter

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=4907.msg61361#msg61361 date=1395001929]
    Hiya Teena.
    Sorry to hear Cooper isn't well. I hope the sickness has stopped with the injections.
    I am guessing the x-ray would be to check for something causing an obstruction - a ball or a bit of bone or something like that.
    Hoping he gets back to his normal self - let us know how he is doing when you can xx
    [/quote]
    Ah of course Jacqui,I remember that now from when Dexter scavenged the chicken carcass on the beach...we were lucky though.if there is anything there Teena Ann your vert will find it and help Cooper,how is he today,I'm hoping he's on the mend xxxx

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hoping all goes well for Cooper Teena Ann xx

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Do hope Cooper is ok :(

11. lablover

lablover Registered Users

Hope all goes ok for Cooper. Let us know how he goes.

Jen xx

12. Teena Ann

Hello evry1 so glad to hear from u all once again and thank u for ur care and concern towards Coop.. well the X-ray was suggested to see if any obstruction like a bone or foreign object was lodged in his abdomen tat would have induced his sickness but the results came back negative and i was askd not to wry bcoz the vet tld me Coop is active,alert and weighs jus right for his age. He has not eaten properly since the visit to the vet and tdy he neva ate his morning meal so im going to give him his next meal to see how he reacts to that and then may be ill consider going for another Check up :-[ :-\ :( :( :(.
    any useful suggestions r welcome

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great to hear that he's not suffering from an obstruction.

Do you think he is just not a very hungry type of dog? He doesn't seem like the type of dog who wants to eat everything at all costs.... Maybe it is normal for him to not want to eat every meal.

14. lablover

lablover Registered Users

How old is Cooper? Meg is 14 next month and I got worried a little while ago that she wasn't eating as much. She's been diagnosed with Cushings disease and I tried all different kibble and wet food. Eventually spoke to our vet who is marvellous and she said not to worry, because of her age she's not as active so probably doesn't get as hungry. I took her to vets and weighed her and she was more or the less same weight 30kgs.

Jen xx

15. Dexter

Teena Ann I think Rachael has a very valid point,Cooper has never been a greedy dog,I can remember all the trials he gave you when you were trying to just get him to eat kibble ....if his weight is good as per the vets approval I would try not to worry too much
    Best wishes and it was nice to see you check into the forum again too x

16. kateincornwall

All sounds good Teena Ann , and if your Vet is happy with Cooper , then you should be too , he is lovely x

17. Teena Ann

Hi Jen,Katie,Rachel,and Dexter i think u all were right may be he is not hungry but sometimes smacks his lips wen we eat though not begging he skips a few meals for a few days so i tried feeding him at night and morning which kinda seems to work out bcoz usually i feed him morning nd noon i have a doubt though abt climate having an effect on dogs appetite my vet said it may be due to climate change tat makes him not to want him to eat here its tooo hot and sultry ::) ::) ???and he always wets himself wenever he can find water and sleeps on it otherwise he is perfectly normal in health and weighs 27kgs at 11 months he turns 12 next month he has no infections,ticks or fleas or even worms so i ges its bcoz of the hot climate :) :)

18. kateincornwall

That makes sense Teena Ann , very hot humid weather can affect dogs appetites, but its all sounding good for Cooper , well done for all the care you are giving him :)

19. Teena Ann

Oh yes Katie u don knw how much effort i put in taking care of Coop as well juggling studies he doesnt like to be alone and follows us werever we go nd lies down wen we sit in the room the minute we leave the room he also leaves with us its so heartwarming and hilarious and regarding toys he is very bad in playing with it bcoz the day i get new toy for him he chews it off the very minute i put it for him to play and he is very fond of carrying things in his mouth is this normal for labs bcoz he jus cant keep his mouth of his things :p :p :p :p :p :p im gonna post a pic of him now hope u like it.. :) :)

20. Teena Ann

[​IMG]