Correct Puppy Food?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Kev Laflin, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Kev Laflin

Kev Laflin Registered Users

Hi all,

I've got a 8mo Lab named Lola who loves her food!

After doing a fair bit of research, I moved her over to Eden 80/20 and have had no complaints with the quality of food etc.

The only real problem (apart from occasional jumping up at worktops) is that she is very hard to tire out. I know this is to be expected in a lab puppy, but I am also quite weary about over walking her at her age. I currently give her 2 x 30 min walks a day, which is slightly over the 5 min per month rule, but after speaking with qualified dog trainers, I am happy with this. We also have plenty of toys which require her to use her brain to get treats to mentally stimulate her too.

I've recently spoke with a couple of people who say the high protein content in the food might be what is causing her to have the extra energy. As stated earlier, I have no issues with the food itself, but having been recommended to change to a different type, I was just wondering what everyone here thinks?

I'm from the UK if anyone can make any brand/type recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sven

Sven Registered Users

I have found doing extra training sessions and extending the requirement ie: longer sit, longer touch, heel walking off leash, recall etc. tires Vanilla out. She is 12months.
    Obviously all the walking etc is part of the 5min. rule.

Not sure food has anything to do with it, but I might be wrong

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I used the Eden 80/20 too (between using Orijen and current Simpsons 80/20) and didn't notice any change in behaviour or energy levels compared to "normal" grain feed.

4. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

All labs love food. Lol. Dealing with a hyper animal is kind of paradoxical. The more you exercise them the better shape they reach leading to longer periods of capable exercise periods. It's almost like you are training them, not tiring them out. You increase the stamina. Sounds like you need to teach Lola to relax and that it's ok for her to not always get her way.

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Agree with what is said above. I don't think high protein food "causes" extra energy. High protein food is normally given to dogs who are working dogs such as sled dogs or herding dogs (or working retrievers ;)) who are expending a lot of energy and who can't make up the calories they are expending on regular dog food alone. So if you are feeding high protein dog food to a dog that isn't expending the required energy to burn it off you could end up with a dog that has extra weight, not extra energy! :) You are on the right track with the "brain games", training tricks or things like heel, come, lie down, stay, to your bed, and the like are also good for tiring out a dog. Sniffing games like hiding kibble in a room and asking them to "find it" can also be good mental exercise!

6. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Just the other day I had someone say to me about higher protein food making dogs more energetic etc. I couldn't say yes or no though, Cassie has been on Skinners Junior since she was about 7 months and I find she does very well on it, around that age I taught her to go on her mat and chill, so I couldn't say whether the food made a difference or not. She's quite calm by nature though underneath all her puppy enthusiasm , I guess it comes back to them all being individuals.
    Isn't the higher protein content in puppy/junior food to promote healthy growth and development?

7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

High protein levels in dog food doesn't mean you will end up with a hyper dog. A dog food with a high protein content, and actually reasonable fat levels is good, especially a growing lab. I am happier with a dog food where the ratio is high for protein and fats but low for carbs. I do check though that for young and growing dogs the ratio of calcium and phosphorus low to prevent high bone growth.
    I also give a high protein diet for my senior lab, he has a lower fat content in his diet than the youngsters, and regular kidney/liver function tests.
    Regarding exercising an 8month old lab, they do need a lot of mental stimulation. Both Bramble and Benson at 8months old had around x 3 10 min outside training sessions, with one 30 min walk in the morning and at least one 60 min walk lunchtime/afternoon. Both off lead. I was careful though to ensure that they didn't race around like loonies for the whole of that time, there was a lot of bimbling, ignoring other dogs, heel work etc..:) Agree with @Lisa, quality food, good exercise = a very energetic, healthy labrador, but that is perfectly normal...notwithstanding the impact of teenage hormones! :)