counter surfing bread thief!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Oct 26, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Just reviewing my training plan (it's on the back of an old envelope!) and decide I'll add doing something about counter surfing to my manners section - which starts with me stopping Charlie getting rewarded!

Charlie doesn't counter surf while I'm there, but he is getting a bit annoying nicking stuff while I'm busy elsewhere. This morning, I forgot to put the toast bread away when I went into the other room with my tea....again. Luckily there were only 2 slices left, otherwise I'd have a dog with a very round tummy.

Karen Pryor has this to say:

"So what would we like our dogs to do instead of counter-surfing? We could choose a specific behavior, such as lying on a mat in the kitchen, and in severe cases we could train and proof this single behavior to be reliable even when we're not in the room—and even when there is juicy steak lying all over the counters!"

Great, we're already cool on the kitchen mat bit - Charlie will stay on his mat (while we are there). And he doesn't counter surf while we're there. So we can move onto "proof this single behavior to be reliable even when we're not in the room". There is no clue how to do this in the article!

Thinking cap on....I go out for a second and C&T if he stays? Then 10 seconds etc.? Won't stop him counter surfing once he's released from his mat though...

Maybe I'll just buy a prettier bread bin so I'll remember to use it!

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: counter surfing bread thief!

Good luck with this one ;D ;D Big though he is , Sam hasnt ever jumped up at the worktops, but my old Lab Tess was the devils own for thieving , her one big fault that we never did rectify , I`d go for the new breadbin if it were me ;D

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, I'll have to develop a tidy habit too though - he nicks anything he can reach. Although if it's not food, at least he will now bring it to us and hand it over (for a reward).

4. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Hi there, Well these past three days, Otis has been counter surfing for england, think it might all be food driven, he has been a lot naughtier since his castration op, and loves his food even more. He will swipe anything off the counter within reach, and Im not the tidiest of people so have had to learn to put things away. He got the margarine carton the other day whilst I was on the phone, and licked it clean ! So any tips to stop this behaviour ? I dont think treating him when he stops is the way either, he might see it as a reward for doing it, maybe just leading him to his basket.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Maggie, maybe you could train Otis to stay out of the kitchen and just sit at the door. I am having some success with my two using this method. Or maybe like Julie teach him to sit on a mat in the kitchen, but they all involve food treats to get it right but he will soon twig that if he does what you want he will get a treat for the correct behaviour. I am not sure but sending him to his basket is a negative reinforcer. Someone will help with that bit as I cannot be 100% sure. :)

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I've had some small success with this - despite his teenage tantrums at 8 months, I think he is still a little puppy sponge for picking stuff up.

I've been running around this evening (washing, recycling, packing chores), in and out of the kitchen. But once he got the idea that waitrose doggy picnic bites - there's a lot to be said for roast chicken but this boy likes junk food - were up for grabs if he was still on his mat when I got back from wherever, we were off. Brill. ;D ;D ;D Mind, there wasn't any food on the counters.... ::)

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3049.msg32272#msg32272 date=1382812792]
    Mind, there wasn't any food on the counters.... ::)
    [/quote]

Sounds like the best way to start and great progress :)

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds great :)

Doesn't mean you can't go shopping for bread bins though.... ;)

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3049.msg32288#msg32288 date=1382817672]

Doesn't mean you can't go shopping for bread bins though.... ;)
    [/quote]

That's good! I've seen a fab one that looks like an armadillo in stainless steel! Might have to put it on the Christmas list and hope though!

10. bbrown

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3049.msg32326#msg32326 date=1382882489]
    That's good! I've seen a fab one that looks like an armadillo in stainless steel! Might have to put it on the Christmas list and hope though!
    [/quote]

Picture? :)

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

12. bbrown

That's awesome! :D Far too trendy for me though 8)

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I've got a very trendy and very traditional thing going on (I pretend it's deliberate - in reality I'm just random in what I buy). But I like it - I've got a hugely space age swedish wood burner in a victorian kitchen fire surround! It's probably just mad... ;D ;D ;D

14. bbrown

Sounds fabulous! :D

15. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

oooh, I do like the sound of your woodburner. I had a chimney fire last winter, and am just getting around to getting my fireplace and woodburner re done, its costing a fortune !

16. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Love your bread bin!

There are so many fun things to teach dogs, but trying to teach a dog not to do stuff in your absence is a) no fun and b) hard work , so I don't do either.

Some dogs just seem to be inveterate thieves, others wouldn't dream of touching your stuff. Thieves are generally both clever and determined. I just don't think it is worth getting into a battle over.

Pippa

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hooray! I'll just have to order the armadillo bread bin then! ;D ;D ;D

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

You go for it Julie! ;D

19. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I was reading this thread with great interest....but looks like there is no magic wand.....sigh.... :mad:

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Nope, I'm just looking on the bright side..it's quite nice having a tidy kitchen! Keeping it tidy for the next 12 + years though... ::)