Crate question

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Dec 20, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So new crate arrived and up. I left a tiny square of fish skin for him to find in the crate and he has been back a couple of time to check out whether the "magic fish skin" box has produced any more. So far, so good. We'll start crate training tomorrow.

What do you do about water in the crate? Charlie, probably like all labradors, is the messiest water drinker in the whole world. If I put a bowl of water in there the bedding would be swimming in no time...

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Crate question

We tried to leave a dish in and it went everywhere. Riley was a baby but I doubt he'd be any better now. As he was only sleeping in there or in there for an hour I didn't bother trying anything else. You could try a travel bowl or one that attaches to the side though.....

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We used to use a bracket that clipped onto the side and held a bowl.

Is it a metal crate? You could get a cheap plastic picnic mug and make a cut at the bottom of the handle so it forms a kind of hook so you can 'clip' it onto a horizontal bar of the crate. That way it's off the floor and won't spill. You can use several mugs if you need to leave him for a while.

Or make a drinker out of a plastic milk carton (if you have the same kind we do....). If you look at this thread and scroll down you'll see an example in 70%cocoa's post (that's me) http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7986188

4. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Puzzle has a bowl in her crate, but it is big enough for barley so she has lots of room. We have a non-tip bowl, but the odd toys have been floating in it.

Puzzle joins charlie in that she is a very sloppy drinker and leaves a trail of water after her once she has had a drink

5. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I have a very similar bowl to MMM and it is really solid and is be very difficult to damage or spill water everywhere. Nope you find something that works ;)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That does look the best of its type, for sure. I'll try it. It's possible that Charlie will view it as somewhat of a challenge, and I may as well write "here is much fun and wetness trying to pull me off the crate" on it. But I'll give it a go, for sure.

Many thanks

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It is a metal crate, yes. Never had one like this before.

Here is Charlie's hospital room complete with gym mat anti-slip flooring - I've only got until Feb, so thought I'd better get it ready instead of buying a Christmas tree (but that was before I knew I would have the family for Christmas :-\).

If we go out the door, we get straight to the garden, only there are 3 steps - builders have just finished installing ramp. Which he refuses to walk up. ::)

[​IMG]
    hospital room by JulieTandCharlie, on Flickr

9. MadMudMob

Mmmmmm, make a good cage for a large parrot :)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=MadMudMob link=topic=3736.msg42379#msg42379 date=1387642363]
    [/quote]

Is it too small? It said ok for a great dane... maybe I should have checked...

11. MadMudMob

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3736.msg42383#msg42383 date=1387642574]
    [quote author=MadMudMob link=topic=3736.msg42379#msg42379 date=1387642363]
    [/quote]

Is it too small? It said ok for a great dane... maybe I should have checked...
    [/quote]

Not at all! The more space an owner can give even a small parrot the better and your cage is of an excellent size :)

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I see!

Have you still got parrots? Any photos?

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Julie the room looks great..you've got time to get him used to the ramp.....Er my spin on the absent Christmas tree would be that you havent got space! X

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=3736.msg42392#msg42392 date=1387643251]
    Julie the room looks great..you've got time to get him used to the ramp.....Er my spin on the absent Christmas tree would be that you havent got space! X
    [/quote]

Great tip about the tree! Thanks.

Yes, I'll have to work on the ramp. I think it smells funny right now, as the paint was only dry yesterday.

15. MadMudMob

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3736.msg42388#msg42388 date=1387643090]
    I see!

Have you still got parrots? Any photos?
    [/quote]

Sadly no - I do have 19 parrots that I rescued over the years but they are all adopted out. I still advise privately and on a UK forum I help run but, no, my health is to poor to take on another indoor bird.

My last one was 47 when she died - Jo-Jo the Festive Amazon and to be honest I lost my will after she went.

She is on the right in this pic and young Fezz also a subspecies Festive Amazon and about 6 months there is on the left in front of our much loved but now passed Scnauzer/Otterhound crossbreed PebblesDog ....

[​IMG]

(Apologies for sidetracking the thread :))

16. MadMudMob

Have only just learnt how to do pics here so a happy to share more pics of two more of the parrots I have been privileged to have had enter my life....

Here's Titch Moth a tiny Senegal with the biggest ego I have ever met in a feathered being. She is now firmly the boss over our mate (fellow Brit bike enthusiast) Shiner and family
    [​IMG]

Here's Cybil a Timneh Grey who had spent years locked in her cage before joining us and swore like a trooper
    [​IMG]

17. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Wow,I can tell you really loved looking after them.we had a cockatiel when we were kids and it was brilliant at learning sounds ....he nipped worse than a Labrador pup though!
    I'm sure Rachael was considering a parrot after she lost Nicolae?but Obi did his mind game hypnotism thing and led her to him...the rest is history! ;D

18. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Julie , the hospital room looks fantastic to me, plenty of space , great work x

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Haha, yes, we were considering a parrot as a dog alternative :) Still at the back of our minds. MMM - would love you to start a parrot thread. Your birds are gorgeous.

20. MadMudMob

Thankyou, I wouldn't know where to start with a parrot thread but am happy to help anyone who asks.
    My recommendation would be pop over to http://www.parrot-link.co.uk/ and see us
    (apologies if this link isn't allowed - do delete it if so)