Crate Training 2 Lab puppies

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Candice Jacobs, May 3, 2019.

1. Candice Jacobs

Candice Jacobs Registered Users

Hello. We are getting 2 lab puppies. What would the the ideal crate size to train them in as the articles all refer to one puppy only.
    Many thanks
    Candice

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Candice Jacobs

Plesse reconsider the idea of getting two puppies. It is not twice the work. It is way, way more. The problem is that you want each puppy to bond with you not so much the other puppy. Not going to happen unless you separate and train them individually. Do not two puppies in the one crate.

AngelConradie likes this.
  3. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Candice, Welcome to the forum!

As Michael has said, unless you have done a lot of research and are quite experienced with dog training, raising two puppies at once can be tricky. In fact, most breeders won't let you take two puppies from the same litter for this reason.

You can find more information on this rather controversial topic here: https://www.thelabradorsite.com/one-labrador-puppy-or-two/

Edp likes this.
  4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Wait at least a couple of years before you get the second pup. You will be much happier. Two dog households are fine, just not starting with two pups at the same time.

5. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

6. Dallas

Dallas Registered Users

In answer to your question of crate size, personally I would get each puppy their own large crate and just section the crates off so that they feel like they’re in more of a den, a sleeping area, rather than having a big huge play area. My puppy has got his pillow and blankie on one side, his food dish on the other side. (He’s fed in his crate because our elderly Husky is a food thief, and she is also fed in her crate, because Dallas will steal her’s as well.)

In the past, my family has gotten two puppies from the same litter... On top of having my puppy that was only 8 weeks older than the two puppies my mother brought home! Plus, I had a newborn baby! We all thought we were going to die. It has tons of fun, hilarious moments, but I will never ever bring home more than one puppy at a time ever again!

Every experience is different, though, and if you do choose to bring home 2, I hope your experience is much different than what the rest of us are imagining.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2019