Crate training problems

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by RosieBeast, Dec 15, 2015.

1. RosieBeast

RosieBeast Registered Users

I need advice. We have a 11 week old springador (mainly lab) and we are crate training. She is pooing in her crate at night and we are still getting up every 2.5 hours to see if this helps but it hasn't. During the day she is really good and asking to go outside to the loo. In the day we are crating her when she needs to sleep, gets over excited and nippy and when my daughter has friends over (she is 5). This seems to be going ok as we are in the same room, even when we leave her in the crate during the day she does cry a bit but is clean. We are also feeding her in her crate and leaving toys at night. Is there anything we can do to stop this?

2. Indy

Indy Registered Users

Hi and welcome.
    Sometimes having a crate that is too big can cause a pup to poop in it, dogs do not like to mess their beds. So if the crate is too big there is room to poop in it.
    Also getting the timing of the last feed in the evening allowing time for them to poop before bedtime.
    At the moment Kira 12 weeks is fed at 8.30pm and bedtime at 11pm, sleeps right through to 7am.
    We make sure she has pooped before bed, this is essential.
    Routine is the secret, after food, play, sleep and training she is put outside for wee and poop, a small reward a piece of kibble if she performs.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would try giving her last meal earlier.

4. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

What are you using to clean up her accidents?

Unless you are using a proper enzyme cleaner like "Simple Solution" there will be a lingering smell which will say to your pup "this is the place to pee and poo". You won't be ab le to smell it but the message will certainly get through to your dog.

Are you using training pads,I was until my trainer pointed out to me that by doing so I was giving the dog permission to pee in the house.