Crate training

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Carebear32, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Carebear32

Carebear32 Registered Users

Hi
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on crate training? Do you use it ? We are a family of 5 with 3 children under 6. Our puppy will be here the 2nd week in April. So just looking at a few options at the moment. Does a crate have to be a cage like thing or can it be a bed ?

Thanks.

2. Indy

Indy Registered Users

Re: Crate training

Best thing in the world for a puppy :D
    They make their little home and refuge from the day to day goings on in the house, do not use it as a punishment cage.
    Start by feeding the pup in there, so it gets to settle in it.
    A nice bit of vet bed and they are fine only put the vet bed in one end of the crate, so if they have a little accident in the night it will not all be wet.

A cover at night will help especially with the summer coming, its light at 5am?

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yep, crates are great! :D

This article is a good starting point: http://www.thelabradorsite.com/crate-training-your-labrador-puppy/

And here's another about training your puppy to go in the crate:
    http://www.thelabradorsite.com/training-your-labrador-puppy-to-crate-on-command/

How to use a crate for house training:
    http://www.thelabradorsite.com/a-quick-guide-to-house-training-your-labrador-puppy/

Here are a few ideas about what to buy:
    http://www.thelabradorsite.com/crates-and-puppy-pens/

:)

4. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Rachael has said it all. Crates are absolutely brilliant for puppys, my murphy is 9 months and he loves his, we got the one that pippa recommends in one of the articles and it is excellent. Murphy sleeps in his and also is in it when we go out and leave him. Its his safe haven, where we know he is safe from hurting himself and our possessions when we go out! I have tried a couple of times to leave him just in the kitchen when i went out for 10 mins but i videod him and he was really stressed and howling the whole time whereas when he is shut in his crate he just settles down and goes to sleep with a kong, as soon as i pick up his kong he gets in and lies down!
    I dont know how I would have coped without his crate!

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Definitely!
    So much easier teaching house training too.
    And gives you some respite from always having to have eyes in the back of your head (which you will be busy using on the children too)
    :) :)

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I would recommend the crate. Harley is 6.5 months and we use it when we go to work or when we pop out. She runs and sits in her crate as soon as she sees a kong (worth investing in a few kongs too). She settles in there , has her kong then sleeps :) she also goes in if she's tired and we have friends round :)

7. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Can only agree with everything that has already been said - crates make life so much easier, and especially with your young children, it will be vital for pup to have a safe spot to retreat to!

Shopping for puppy things is sooo much fun... ;D
    Clare

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Lovin' the crate action in Dubai too....Dexter is now 17 months and we will always keep it up,we have the space and it's on the utility room which is child gated off the kitchen...he just wanders on and out when he wants ,the door is always open,it's just another bed to him now x

9. Carebear32

If I use a crate do I always have too? Say when the dog is older 3/4 years maybe ? If you have a crate do you also have a bed too ??

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

In our case Dexter has got his crate in his 'room'....he was never locked in the crate from about 8/9 months.... But he will still sometimes be shut behind the gate.hes got a lounge bed ( although we are open plan so it is also a kitchen bed ;D) that he is told to go to if he we want him still during food prep or eating etc....and he has a couple of moveable blankets/ rugs that he is trained to go on if we want him still by the dining table or if we are eating in the garden....basically ' on your blanket' means 'on your blanket wherever we place it ' . oh,at the grand old age of 15 months the blanket was finally placed on the couch ::) and with a 'hup hup' command he's allowed up there! No blanket,no hup,hup.....means lying on the couch not allowed! ;D

11. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

My 6 month old has her crate in the kitchen and yes, there is a bed in there... It's where she sleeps overnight, as she does enjoy a chew and unsupervised access to the cupboard handles would still be too tempting for now. She won't always be in it - depending on how chewy she is, she'll probably get just the bed at about a year old. Her crate is actually on loan - from another Lab owner whose dog graduated to bed-only overnight at about 15 months. I will probably continue to use it for 'overnight security' when visiting relations beyond the point she is not in it at home anymore though!

She also has a dog bed in the lounge, just so she has an identifiable spot that is hers in there too and I don't have to move beds around.
    Clare

12. Oberon

It's up to you whether or not you keep using a crate. We stopped with the crate once our dog was trustworthy being left alone in the house (he was rehomed to us at 9 months and we ditched the crate at about 14 months). Our house is small and the crate was taking up a lot of room so our aim was always to phase it out. Bt you don't have to :)

13. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Big fan of crates here. My two are tw years old, and two and a half, de crated overnight and sleep on my bed overnight at around one year old, i work half days now or work from home and they are both still crated when i am out. Brodick is a chewer still and cuillin is a bit nervy, both love their crates when im not there, they rush in when they know im heading out and always get a tasty treat in there. Ive tried leaving them out when i go out but they dont like it, their crates are their wee safe dens. Id like to de crate them when i go out at some point, but no rush as frankly they seem much happier and are much safer in them !

14. Carebear32

Thanks everybody. Yous have answered all my question perfectly ! I would like to decrate at around 1-2 years. So I am now think crate and see how we fair out. Thanks again !

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Its probably been said but make sure you get one big enough for adult lab, but factor in needing some sorr of dicider to limit the space when a pup.
    :)

16. Indy

Indy Registered Users

Have always used them for pups,the older dogs can do without them now?
    But they still insist in getting the crate now we have the pup ;D
    Must try and get a photo of all 3 of them in there.

[​IMG]

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So adorable : D

18. Oberon

Loving the gloss on your black dog - divine. :)

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

They look so sweet :)

20. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hi, I'm going to be getting a Puppy in April too and have been doing much research on crates v no crate! So much information ::)
    Do you use the crate from the 1st night they are in their new home?