Crate v Puppy Pen (or both?)

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Karen1410, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Karen1410

Karen1410 Registered Users

Hi all

My name is Karen and I'm married to Tallpaul who introduced himself on the forum earlier. We are the proud new parents of Bailey, the 8 week old Fox Red lab.

I am wondering what everyone's views are on crates v puppy pens? We have a crate for Baikey which he slept in last night and will need somewhere where to keep him (and our house!) safe when we have to go out. I am wondering if a puppy pen would be better for him to play in during the day while I am trying to get things done around the house etc?

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Karen

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I like puppy pens, they are mainly for sleeping in and if I go out for an hour or so :)

image.jpeg

IreneM and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have a pen and crates. The pen is my pup's home, it's where she goes when I can't look after her (eg I'm working, busy etc) or when I go out. I also have a few crates around the house, and these are for when I'm busy or relaxing but can't have my puppy out playing or tormenting my older dog because I need to work or rest! Having these crates means she isn't isolated in her pen (which is at the back of the house) but can be with me in my study or the TV room etc.

So, both is my answer, but pen for long term (eg when not directly supervised because you can't leave a tiny pup in a crate in case it needs to toilet).

4. Branston1080

Branston1080 Registered Users

We went for both and now at 5 months have phased out the pen. Baby gates for us have been a real winner!

5. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

We also had both, but pen only when leaving her longer than her bladder could handle and phased out to only crate (4.5ish months).

6. IreneM

IreneM Registered Users

We had both, until Jesse decided to push his playpen around. Now we secured an area in the house with 2 walk through gates, when I can't supervise him. When we have to go out for a short trip he is in his crate with his favorite toy. He sleeps in his crate at night and knows when i turn of the lights, and TV it is bedtime. He will be 4 month on Sept 1.

7. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Crated at night with me getting up every so many hours for pee and poo....but also gated off the family room from rest of the house.....large area.....in daytime when I was with Cooper. When I went out for an hour or two, crated. He is now 2-1/2 years old and the crate sits there, not being used by him,but I throw all his Nylabones and Kongs in there when not in use. Guess you could say the family room was a huge play pen but made sure he was housebroken as quickly as possible!! That was a long time ago.....those few first months just fly.....enjoy his puppyhood!

8. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I like both as well. I don't like the idea of puppy stuck in the crate for that inevitable time I'm later than I planned and lying in her own pee, poop or puke. So the crate door is open and both puppies chose a place away from the crate to bathroom. No puke ever, thank heavens.

9. Stryker

Stryker Registered Users

I use only a pen. Personal preference really. Some where on these forums, somebody asked the same question and I posted a video of how to make your own playpen that can be moved around, upgraded and very sturdy.

Edit: Found it for you.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

We spent most of the summer in Cornwall, and my neighbours gave me on loan a couple of crates that were used for their pup, now grown up - I had a pen for Betsy too (Charlie's old pen, which we haven't used in a while). Now we are back in London I didn't have any crates - just her pen (apart from a tiny crate that I'd used to crate train her but it's too small now). Until OH reminded me I had these massive crates from Charlie's recovery from surgery. They are show crates, for Great Danes! :D:D:D

Anyway, no point in buying more when I have these, so Betsy has a Great Dane sized crate in the TV room and in my study. These are so I don't have to leave her in the pen at the back of the house but don't have the time/energy to supervise her, or need to get work done.

HeeHee. She looks pretty small in these crates!

[​IMG]betsy crate by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

Samantha Jones likes this.