Crating while we eat dinner?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Loopyloo30, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Sorry, another question if I may... Bob's crate is right in our kitchen/diner area and I wondered what we should do with him when we are sitting down to eat? Do I crate him with a kong or some treats? Or do we let him roam but ignore him? Not sure how to play this one!

Lou x

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Re: Crating while we eat dinner?

When Chepi was small she didn't bother me at meal times. She seemed to either be snoozing or shredding a cardboard box. Funnily enough, it was only today that I popped her into her crate so I could eat in peace and she's 6 months this weekend.
    On the other hand, it's a good idea to get her used to spending some brief periods in her crate. :)

3. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Yea, agreed. family meal time is crate time. Simples

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

From day 1 we gave Harley her tea at the same time as us, when she finishes (always before us!), she goes and lies on her bed and doesn't move until we take our plates to the sink. It's good to train either crate or bed to ensure you don't get the 'I'm starving' eyes :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

If you never - NEVER - feed your dog during mealtimes, and ignore him/her, s/he will learn that mealtimes are "nothing to do with me" and will settle. If you feed or interact with him/her then a crate might be necessary.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We don't ever give our two human food, so us eating anything has no interest to them.

That's what I advise. It works and makes for stress free eating, anywhere.

:)

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8218.msg116178#msg116178 date=1413056652]
    If you never - NEVER - feed your dog during mealtimes, and ignore him/her, s/he will learn that mealtimes are "nothing to do with me" and will settle.
    [/quote]

Totally our approach,Dexter has never had one piece of food from us at meal times and he has always settled nicely .....he needed a kong at first when we had company but he'd finish it and go and lie on his bed ....he doesn't bother at all now,he lies on my feet under the table...but if guests aren't cooperating ::) and are talking to him and patting him I tell him to go to his bed and he goes quite happily x

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Willow doesn't bother us at meal times and I have no intention of training her to start by feeding her from the table or our plates. Last night we had friends over for dinner and she was still excitable when we sat fins for dinner, so I put her in her crate with a long. The only time she whined was when the kong ended up under her vet bed and she couldn't get to it! She settled and fell asleep within about ten minutes.

9. Helen

Helen Registered Users

We have never crated Buster while we are eating, he is 8 months now and never bothers us while we are eating, he might come and have a sniff but he wonders of and amuses himself.

10. Petrina

Petrina Registered Users

With busy summer and kids home I crated bailey at meal times, then fed him after, it worked for us, ignoring him was just yo difficult for kids! And they are teenagers x

11. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

We have always crated Hollie for meal times, her crate is in the dining room so she can still see us but tends to sleep

12. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

I feel that it is a good idea to get puppies used to being on there own for a bit while the family eats seperately from them. A good bit of routine that the puppy will soon get used to.

13. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

:) I agree with all the above advice Lemmy doesn't get food when I'm cooking or when we eat he's gnerallyin his bed in kitchen when I cook if we eatbin kitchen he lays under my chair or bed if we in lounge he stays in kitchen. Doesn't seem like o bother him at all. X