Creatures of Habit

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by David, Jul 4, 2013.

1. David

David Registered Users

Do you find your dogs are creatures of habit just like us humans? Lady's habits include -

- When we walk past the farm cottages her nose is exactly parallel with my left leg as she walks to heal completely unbidden. She stole a half cooked chicken from one of the cottages when she was a tiny puppy, hence the start of walking her to heal past them. Now she just does it.
    - I cut a hole in the garden gate for our old cat, Tom when he was too old to climb over. Lady always sticks her head through the hole when we are on our way out for a walk. She's done this since we got her at 6 months old.
    - If I put my outdoor ordinary shoes on (as opposed to walking boots) she gets in her bed. But if I do the same thing with treats in my pocket she sits by the front door with tail pounding the dust out of the door mat.

;D

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Creatures of Habit

Funny girl ;D

On one of our walks we go past a particular garden hedge and Obi always leans right into it and walks along pressed into the hedge. It's quite a spiky hedge. We call it 'self patting'.

He also has a habit of sucking on his toys, although only one toy will have this privilege at any time. At the moment the favoured object is a microfibre car polishing sponge that he nicked when I was cleaning out my boot last weekend.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Definately creatures of habit and routine :)

Loving your examples David and Rachael :)

Sam is just the same, with shoes . If I put my old walking shoes on , he is instantly awake from a previous comotose situation , also locking the back door alerts him to a possible walk , car keys mean a ride to a longer woody walk .
    If we leave the house on foot and turn left at the end of our road , he is fine but if we turn right, his facial expression is hilarious, this means the play field , game on ;D

4. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

yes i agree creatures of habit,.........he just watches me like an hawk, .......same as kate when i lock the door,......a lot of little habits i am noticing :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Even though Charlie is still so young, he has them already! One is sitting down by the dustbin when we leave the house (it's the opposite way to where we want to go) - I suppose it might smell nice to him!

The other I have myself to blame - once he got too big to carry, I wanted him to walk down the steps from his toilet area very slooooowly. So I gave him a kibble for waiting every 3rd step. Now he will only go three steps down any flight of stairs or steps and then stops! Kibble expensive to get him down steps and stairs (obviously generally avoid them anyway), but I suppose it's handy while he is so young. Be a pain when he gets older though!