Cut from rough play

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jyssica, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Has anyone had their dog been cut from rough play? Rolo was at his daycare today and the staff explained he had a cut on the back of his neck from playing with scruffs too rough etc.

Now i trust the staff and think their set up is great they LOVE all of the dogs and are always supervised etc she said by time she got over as could see it getting rough he was cut.

Whem i picked him up i couldnt see it as it was all clean and covered with fur. But on further inspection it looks deep and has bled a bit since home.

Will call the vet first thing but anything.i can do to stop scratching or wash it with anytbing?

2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

This actually just happened to Quinn a couple of weeks ago at a daycare. I looked it up online and washed the cut with warm water and applied polysporin a few times that night (a human antibiotic cream for cuts - not sure what your equivalent is). Since Quinn's cut was near her eye, we brought her to the vet the next morning. They said the polysporin was fine to use and would have recommended that. I would def call the emergency vet to ask what to do if the cut seems deep/continues bleeding.

b&blabs likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My two dog play very rough together - far rougher than I would consider appropriate for dogs that didn't live together. We have the very, very occasional nick which tend to be more of a graze than a cut, more often than not on the legs, but sometimes on the lip or cheek. I would be very concerned if one bit the other hard enough for it to be a significant wound.
    No, that is not something that should happen during appropriate play.

4. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Thanks Fiona

I am going to speak to the manager tomorrow they have CTTV and i want to ensure the girl was supervising.

I feel lousy for him altough he seems unphased, ive clesned it and he isnt bleeding but i dont have any creams to put on so will contact the vet first thing.

Thanks @QuinnM15

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Poor boy. That sounds a bit much for just 'rough play'. I would expect a few nicks, but nothing deep. Hope he's ok.

Jyssica likes this.
  6. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

@Naya Thank you, yes i now think so too!
    He is with my partner in the morning so will be with someone and then ill get him the vet as soon as they can see him. He had a lousy night last night too with an upset tummy and then this today! He came over and curled up with me on his own before something he has never done!

7. Granca

Granca Registered Users

It would be good to get him checked. My two play roughly sometimes, but they haven't had cuts as a result - yet - although it can appear that they're almost eating each other. The worst injury was last weekend when Tuppence and one of my sons grabbed a toy at the same time, resulting in my son having a distinct dent in his finger (and he nearly passed out), but even that didn't bleed.
    I hope Rolo's feeling better tomorrow.

Jyssica likes this.
  8. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

Bessie got a small cut on her face, near her eye, from playing with Burke a while back. More of a nick/scrape, nothing deep. Unfortunately her fur is so thin there and it got reopened playing with another dog a few days later! She still has a bald spot where the scab was. I am hoping it fills back in. :( I washed it with soapy water, rinsed, then put on some polysporin.

Here's hoping it heals quickly, but talking to the doggie daycare seems like a good plan as does a vet check-in. My older dog got a serious puncture bite on his neck a few years ago, when a bitch in heat attacked him, and we had to keep it open a while so it could drain and keep putting polysporin on it so it didn't heal over a deeper infection. We managed to heal it on our own with just phone consult from the vet.

Jyssica likes this.
  9. Jeimer

Jeimer Registered Users

Hope Rolo is fine.

Jyssica likes this.
  10. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Hope the little man us ok

Jyssica likes this.
  11. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

That sounds more like when they run under barbed wire! Do they run near such fields when she takes them out?

Jyssica likes this.
  12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

How did it go at the vets? Hope he's ok

13. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Hey all thanks for your well wishes.

Rolo is fine its infected but he was a star at the vets.

They shaved him he wasnt phased. Give me an antiseptic wash and 1 week of antibiotics so hopefully it clears up. Am meeting with the manager of the daycare tomorrow to have a chat and maybe review the CCTV

X

DebzC likes this.
  14. Deb - Archie's Human

Deb - Archie's Human Registered Users

I'm glad that Rolo is on the mend. That is very disheartening for you I'm sure. I hope that your meeting gives you some answers and reassurance.

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Gosh ,it got infected quickly ,Good job you took him to the vet so quickly....will be interesting to see what you see on the cctv.I hope you can get to the bottom of it and it sorted out x