Daddy long legs

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by laurenxo, Apr 25, 2016.

1. laurenxo

laurenxo Registered Users

Henry (12 week fri) doesnt seem to be growing outwards just upwards at the moment is this normal ? lol my last two pups were quiet chunky but they were girls. Hes about 10 kilo last time we weighed him, he has 4 meals a day still, i will insert some pics of him stood up once hes awake lol

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Shadow was exactly the same. Every time we got his ribs covered, he'd have a growth spurt and end up looking malnourished again. All his energy seemed to go into growing up rather than out. It was a real struggle to get any cover on him. He settled down at about 18 months and is still very slim, but doesn't look abused anymore :)

Newbie Lab Owner and Dexter like this.
  3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh, the gangly look , I remember it well ;) Sam still has long legs but he did look frightful at times when he was growing , all legs and no substance , it all seems to sort itself out eventually :)

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

WE noticed it too, more so with Oban. I swear, one morning we got up and overnight his back legs had grown an inch but not his front legs. Everywhere he went was downhill for a couple of months. :)

5. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's normal. Labs usually start to bulk out at about 9 months. Until then they're all legs and enthusiasm.

Newbie Lab Owner and laurenxo like this.
  6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Ha ha, puppies are a bit like teenagers - all legs and arms at times until they grow into them. All puppies are so different and some to be more leggy than others at different times. Juno's bestest friend is a month younger than her and Juno has always looked more leggy than Jen but they are pretty much the same height when shoulder to shoulder.

7. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Dexter is a lanky legged boy, at 101/2 months he's starting to grow into his huge paws :D

8. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

It seems pretty typical. If he is a field dog, esp. an American dog, he may be a lot more lanky when he grows up. At just under 12 months, Cooper is 24" at the shoulder.

9. laurenxo

laurenxo Registered Users

yeah hes from a family of gun dogs and FT winners

10. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rory got called the giraffe at this stage in his life and its stuck. I was convinced someone was stretching at night. he was all legs and his tail was so long he looked like a lemur. He then fill out a bit then start to stretch again. He's 3/4 gun dog breeding so he is a very lean dog now at 2 years.

11. Marge

Marge Registered Users

Tyne is the same, her back legs grow overnight too! She's not as slim or deep chested as Fern was but I think she will end up lean. She's from working stock too, drakeshead vodka sire.

12. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Oh thank goodness I found this post - The only thing that seems to be growing on Bailey at the moment are his legs! I know he is putting on weight but not sure where its going unless its into his paws!

Cath, Newbie Lab Owner and MaccieD like this.