Damage

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Somatic, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

Arnie did a considerable amount of damage at home today. He ripped the irrigation system out of the ground. To put it plainly, I am very annoyed and disappointed.

This week is one of those rare unfortunate weeks where he has to spend time alone at home. I am there most of the time but this week I have to work a lot.

I am disappointed because he has been so good, and we have done so much wor and training, and today he caused probably $1000 worth of damage.

I don't know what to do.

2. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Why not find a daycare for the weeks when he has to be alone all day?

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He needs a safe place to be while you are out, or doggy day care.

You can get excellent puppy pen panels online which can be slotted together as big as you like.

You can't train for when you are not there and a dog is bored.

Imagine being left alone all day with no radio, books, laptop, TV or phone. It's exactly like solitary confinement. Dogs are social animals, like us.

4. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

Yeah I tried that. We had one but I leave too early, like 4am, for me to drop him down and my wife has to start work when they open. It's real inconvenient. And I didn't really like their facilities. I'm chasing up another place that might work a little better. I'm just really upset. I'm not even home yet and I don't know what I'm gonna do when I get there.

5. Boogie

He's not been naughty - just bored.

He's a dog and needs things to do and company. We get dogs knowing they will be 'inconvenient' You can't park them like a car.

MF and Helen like this.
  6. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh how frustrating! I could've gone on a exotic holiday with the amount of stuff Benson chewed. It got quite dispiriting at one point..and he was crate trained!
    Could you crate train? It would enable you leave him alone for a few hours without worrying. They do learn to disengage and relax in a crate eventually :)

Tina Marie likes this.
  7. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I can imagine how frustrating that must be!

We have to pop Stanley in his crate whenever we leave the house because he would chew everything in sight. Very tying at the minute because you can't really leave him in there longer than a couple of hours.

If we need longer than that we have to get our parents to look after him, or he goes to doggy day care! It is a bit costly but it pays for itself in peace of mind to know my puppy and home are safe!

8. Xena Dog Princess

Daycare may have "official" opening hours, but they do have the discretion to take pets early. I've just settled on a place for Xena for when I need to be out for the day, and that's what they told me. Yeah, it wouldn't be 4 am early, but it's worth enquiring about.

9. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

Yeah this new place might be the go. I'll speak to them tomorrow. He's just gonna have to go stay with my in laws tomorrow. It's so annoying. I know that dogs are hard work and we make sacrifices but this is ridiculous. Today has been a nightmare. Also, I am gonna have some people snicker and laugh and say "I told you so".

Sometimes I think the reason why I have a dog is because I dislike people

Rosie likes this.
  10. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Why would people say that to you? Pretty nasty o_O

11. Boogie

I most certainly wouldn't laugh - it's an awful thing to happen. But you do need to realise a bored dog WILL chew whatever they can find to chew.

12. Xena Dog Princess

It's an expensive lesson, but if it hadn't been the irrigation it would have been nuisance barking, or digging holes, or trying to escape etc. Hopefully you find a daycare that you like.

13. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

No, people who know you and love you won't.

Good luck finding a suitable daycare solution. Would the in-laws be a longer term option?

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

And those you people you just ignore.....it's happened now and it might not be as bad as you think when you get home honestly Dexter spent a good while with us at first digging up the irrigation system and chewing up all the pegs and HE was never left alone,that was under supervision! Granted He didn't chew the tubing but it wasn't so expensive to put right ...
    Easier said than done but try not to be cross with Arnie,He won't know what you are cross about ,he'll just know Dad's upset ....I hope you can get a daycare sorted that will help out x

15. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

The in laws are the ones that will say I told you so

16. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Sigh I dunno why people have to get so self righteous.

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh lord what a pain for you! Hopefully you will like the new day care center better than the first one.

18. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

They are usually jealous perhaps they can see what a lovely dog is and what a good relationship you are building with him

19. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I've had the "I told you not to get a dog" a few times as well.

I'm the same as you, even at his worst I'd still rather spend time with Stanley over most people. He's got much better craic :p

20. Sarah B

Sarah B Registered Users

I've only had the puppy 2 weeks and I've had
    'I don't understand dogs'
    'I like going away too much to get a dog'

And before he came had
    'No, don't get a labrador! Mine chewed everything'

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Rosie and Kelsey&Axel like this.