Damaged labrador coat

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Clark Kent, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Registered Users

Like many others I damaged my labradors coat with a furminator not realizing I was doing so until I did more research. I’d say he has very minimal undercoat left. He has some top coat but it’s wirey/brittle and I’m sure I damaged that also. His fur is very thinned out. You cannot see his skin but just petting him you can tell his coat is not thick or double coated like a labradors should be.

Suggestions on how to work on getting his coat back to a healthier Labrador coat. Growth, maintenance, etc.

The furminator went right in the trash

2. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're worried about the thickness of your boy's coat.

Going forward the best thing you can do for good coat health is look after your pup's general health - the right diet makes a big difference to coat health - your vet can give you some pointers if you'd like to check up on his diet :). And you may also find it helpful to take him to a professional groomer, who can look at your dog's coat in person, groom it in a way that's sensitive to his needs, and give you advice on any grooming you do between appointments. :)