Dandruff on my pup.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by teapot57, Aug 2, 2014.

1. teapot57

teapot57 Registered Users

Albert is almost 6 months old now and has developed dandruff on his coat. He is on a high quality, grain free, hypoallergenic food with Salmon as the protein and sweet potato as the main carb. He gets pilchards and sardines 4 times a week, a raw egg once a week, and 2 pumps of salmon oil once a day, on his food.

His coat is shiny and thick, but lately he has started scratching more and the dander flakes are quite big. I have noticed this morning a tiny area of thinning hair down his left side.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jan and Albert.

2. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

Re: Dandruff on my pup.

when jasper was around 13 week he had a bit of dandruff the vet recommended cod liver oil, i give him one every night, worth a try :)

3. lablover

lablover Registered Users

To be honest I don't know. It's not something I've come across. It sounds like he's getting enough nutrients for his coat. Maybe try putting some aloe vera on his skin to stop the itching, or I believe tea tree oil is supposed to be good. Never tried it myself. Do you think maybe a trip to vet just to rule out any underlying cause?

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

If his coat appears shiny and he has dandruff and itching, then I think a visit to the vet is a good idea. Have a look closely and see if the dandruff is moving as there is a mite that looks like dandruff, cannot remember the exact name of it at the moment, will look it up and edit my post.

Cheyletiella in Cats and Dogs (Diagnosis and Treatment)
    vetmedicine.about.com › ... › Diseases and Conditions
    Cheyletiella are mites that live on the skin, causing irritation, dandruff, and itchiness. A distinguishing feature of this mite species are the large, claw-like mouth ...

It may not be but is a possibility.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sounds to me like he is getting enough in his diet without adding any more fish oil.

Lilly went through a phase of dry coat, but this was when she was getting a lot of shampooing due to regular swimming and poo-rolling ::) , and before I changed her feed to grain free. She has always had 2 fish oil caps a day.
    It did settle down, I thought it was that we reduced shampooing (just a rinse after swims, reserved the shampoo for the poo!).
    If there isn't any other obvious explanation, I would be asking the vet.

Our rabbit had Cheyletiella, and it DID look just like a dry skin patch and flakes, so I guess worth thinking about (not that I did at the time ;D )

6. teapot57

Thanks for advice. Have looked very closely with magnifying glass and I can't see anything moving. :eek:

Going to vets on Monday for wormer so will mention it. I wonder if too much fish?

Jan

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

That's a relief then :) Maybe it is the fish, or stress or bathing? My dogs used to get dandruff if something stressed them like going to the vet!

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, dandruff can suddenly appear in a stress situation. Who knows how, but it can and it's quite sudden. My old black boy used to get spontaneous dandruff when he was young and we first started going to the dog club. Very noticeable on a black dog. If the fur is thinning though I'd say it's something else.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Really? Stress causes dandruff? Wow...never have thought it.

Stress is a very funny thing though, for sure.

10. Oberon

Well a stressed dog can suddenly have an attack of dandruff that quickly becomes visible in the fur. Can happen fast, and is very visible on a black dog. Mainly round the lower half of the back. Bit bizarre, but true! It stops when they relax.

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

wow - I'll look out for that!

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You learn something new everyday on this forum. Thanks for that Rachael, again I had no idea :) x

13. Oberon

It was Stacia who mentioned it :) Weird as it is, it's definitely 'a thing' :)

14. teapot57

I've only bathed him once and that was 2 days ago as he got some oil on his fur so it can't be that. I don't think he's stressed in any way either, he leads a charmed life ( dont they all) but I suppose I wouldnt know if anything particular has stressed him other than he appears to be chilled and relaxed. The stress thing is interesting though.

Jan