De-crating puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Vicci, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Vicci

Vicci Registered Users

We have started to De crate our puppy, he is nearly 8 months old. We do it a few hours during the day but not sure how he would cope with all night. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I always de-crate at night first, they usually sleep and don’t get up to chewing at night, so long as they have had plenty of activity, stimulation and training during the day.

:)

3. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I started leaving the crate door open at night when Cassie was about 7 months, with no problems. And gradually left her for short periods in the day.

4. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Finn chewed during the night. I was his external conscience and if I wasn’t there to correct him, he was a naughty boy....We recently de-crated him at the age of 4....It all depends on how the character of dog is....

5. Vicci

Vicci Registered Users

During the day his been brilliant hasn't chewed anything other then his toys. He takes himself off to bed about 11. Once his in his crate he don't come back out again even if I haven't closed the door yet. We've been doing so well with training don't wanna get it wrong and sabotage all the hard work we have done. Will try leaving the door open tonight and see how we go. Eventually I wan a get rid of his crate altogether. Thanks for the advice

selina27 likes this.
  6. Bettie

Bettie Registered Users

It might also depend on if you have a cat. Cats are more nocturnal. I plan to decrate our puppy at night but we will need to put a barrier on the door because of the cat.

7. Inky lab

Inky lab Registered Users

Inky was in his crate, door shut until he was about 16 months at night xnd when I went out. It's in the kitchen. Now he's not, I still leave the gate across the doorway. I think he'd be fine but reason he might help himself to the post and he also sometimes barks at people walking along outside. These he can't see from the kitchen

Vicci likes this.
  8. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I decrated Xena during the day - gradually - at 8 months, but when I tried to decrate at night it was a big old fiasco. I tried again at 12 months and she was fine. All you can do is try, and if it doesn't work then you try again in a few months. Like others have said, it depends on the dog.

Vicci and selina27 like this.
  9. Vicci

Vicci Registered Users

No worry as we don't have a cat