Decrating trial

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Feb 1, 2015.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

So, yesterday, the hubster and I had to be out all day on a course. I really didn't want to leave the pups in their crate all day, even with someone coming in to walk them at lunchtime I felt it was too long for them, so we bit the bullet, puppy-proofed the apartment and prepared to leave them to it. I took them for a good snowy walk first thing and left chew toys and a brand new cardboard box for them to shred. Also set up more cameras so we could keep an eye on them throughout the day.

They were brilliant. Nothing chewed that shouldn't have been. Our friend came and took them for a walk with her dog ("Uncle Alfie") who they love at lunchtime, gave them a little bit of lunch and left them with a kong each. The rest of the time was spent shredding the box (came home to cardboard EVERYWHERE!) and sleeping. Very happy with them! We'll still use the crate at night and if I have to pop out for short times, because they're more than happy to sleep in there, but it's good to know that if we have to go out for a long time, they're safe to leave loose.

We took them for a lovely long walk when we got home, with sister Annie and Uncle Buster, as it was an absolutely beautiful evening.

Happy puppy mummy!

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Decrating trial

Well done Willow and Shadow :) I bet you were proud :)
    Once I let Harley out of her crate for 1 day, she never went back in. Personally I am happier that she can walk around etc when I'm out, and I know she won't chew or destroy anything :)

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Well done! :)
    We de crated Benson at I think 8 months, in the kitchen only, which is largely Benson proof now...(he did munch his way through a kitchen unit though...) It does feel much better letting them have a bit more space to wander around in.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hurrah!

When Gypsy was decorated, very young, nothing was ever chewed. But two weeks ago (months after decorating, she's 8 months old now) she had a little nibble of the skirting board. My supervisor said to spread Vicks vapour rub on all the skirting boards to nip it in the bud - she's not tried since :)

5. snowbunny

I've now started shopping for new beds for them with the idea of decrating completely over the coming weeks. I just need to find a nice one that can be shipped here ... thinking this one right now, which also happily matches our black and red decor:

[​IMG]

6. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=9740.msg140873#msg140873 date=1422787338]
    I've now started shopping for new beds for them with the idea of decrating completely over the coming weeks. I just need to find a nice one that can be shipped here ... thinking this one right now, which also happily matches our black and red decor:

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

You are kidding right? Bouncer would destroy that in seconds. ::)

Well done on the decrating.

7. snowbunny

;D

Mine aren't bed destroyers, luckily. Probably famous last words once I spend a decent amount on one!!

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

9. snowbunny

I really want one with sides because they both like resting their heads, snuggling up in corners etc. I was going to get one for each of them, although only get one to start with to make sure they get on OK with it. They both generally sleep curled up - or on their backs! :)

10. snowbunny

The biggest one is 90cm x 70cm with a sleep area of 72cm x 52cm, which is about the size of one of their current beds that they both sleep together on sometimes - although they're obviously getting bigger all the time!

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

12. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

Inca likes destroying the base underneath the cushion on that style of bed. Little monkey! Glad the de-crating went well. We are lucky that we have a fairly large utility room that is easily puppy proofed so she has had the run of that for a while now. Not brave enough to give her any more freedom than that just yet!

13. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

We have just about decrated Jack & Barney now too, in the kitchen while we are at work (also puppy proofed, but they have the odd nibble on the door lol) and in the dining room at night, as the kitchen is an extension on the back of the house and the opposite side to our bedroom, so I worry I wouldn't hear them. They also get to sleep in comfort on the leather sofa, in their crate or Barney's favourite corner spot next to my clothes horse so it's like a little den ;D

We tried leaving them in the dining room today while we went shopping and they were as good as gold.

Although im looking forward to getting the space back from their crate, will keep it up for a while, as they do like to go in there, especially if they've been spooked, and also if we need them to rest.

I never thought we would have decrated them by 8 months, I'm really pleased with how they're doing, other than odd bits of counter surfing and door gnawing they are just a delight, and still insist on getting on my lap for a cuddle, no mean feat at 29kg each!!

14. snowbunny

Ah, that's great, Lou! Well done to you and your boys :)

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good stuff!

That bed looks lovely.

16. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Wow great stuff!!!! I've let Bella be on her own in the living room plus kitchen a little more recently when I shower or pop to the shops quickly .......and so far ........so good, she just gets up on the sofa , but I wouldn't dare venture for more than 15 mins. She doesn't make a sound when in living room, whereas she barks and whines when in the kitchen with baby gate, interesting.

Let us know how they get on with the beds!!

17. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

We'll done ,they did great Fiona but you helped them too with great planning.
    Orvis ship ........not cheap but the beds are amazing and one of Dex's has sides on it....oh and they personalise them too if you wish ;D

18. snowbunny

Oh my, just had a look at the Orvis website! Those beds are DELICIOUS! But the PRICE! :eek:

I think I'll have to save that link for when I have a little windfall :)

19. CDM

CDM Registered Users

How much we talking??? I'd be gutted if I got one and Bella ate it ha ;D

20. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

The Orvis beds look wonderful!! I want the deep dish one for my two, but they won't be having it at £179! (They can just sleep on my £1200 leather sofa/pouffe lol)

After spraying the chewed door with bitter Apple spray, today Jack decided to gnaw off a patch of plaster next to the back door!! Now I will be spraying the plaster as id rather them chew the door as plaster isn't good for them. Time to get out the large kongs for the afternoons I think, as that's when he seems to chew

Lou x