Deer Antlers

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by Anne123, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

A few people on here use these but I believe the general consensus is that they are too hard and present a risk of damage to teeth. I've never tried them with mine because of this risk.

3. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Thank you for your reply!

Annemarie

4. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I agree with snowbunny- use stuffed kongs or I use whimzees.

5. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I don't use them either, I'm a massive fan of stuffed kongs. So much so Mabel is now an addict.

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I bought one for Juno but she hasn't had it, but she does have other bones, which tend to be frowned upon, and she also has Smart Bones for a good chew. Have to admit Juno has never had a filled Kong in her life but doesn't seem any the worse for it..

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I use them all the time and have never had any problems. they are expensive but last for ages and you can buy ones that are sliced in half which are less hard they come in different strengths and sizes. I use stuffed khongs too and they are great.

8. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

I give Finn a stuffed kong. But he empty it so quickly. Everything I give the two of them is gone in a split second. Real bones I tried, but I don't like the splinters coming off. That is why they don't get them. Ears they swallow so fast, that they almost choke and I have to pull it out of their throat! But no thanks! I also tried nylabones. They managed to peal of splinters of plastic. That is why I was looking what I could give them for a treat.

Annemarie

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't use them, I think they are definitely to hard and there is a really risk of a broken tooth, or teeth being worn down.

The trick to make kongs last is to buy a big one, and freeze it once stuffed.

10. Jes72

Jes72 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I gave them to Homer as a puppy because al all the reasons mentioned by Ann. He even destroyed a large black Kong. Nothing else would calm him down in the evenings. His canine teeth have worn down quit a bit, but this is possibly due to a combination of dirty tennis balls and the antlers.

If I had a crocodile puppy in the house I'd try them again, but be more careful to limit how long he chews on it.

11. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have always used them but Harley isn't a big chewer. She will spend the odd 5-10 mins chewing and making them all soggy to get the middle out. She really enjoys them and we haven't had any dental problems. Everyone is different as is every dog.

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I do think that all dogs chew differently, and some dogs are more at risk than others - but....it does make me pause when people say "we haven't had any dental problems". Unless your dog has been recently sedated and a vet examine his teeth, it's hugely difficult to tell whether your dog has any dental problems - in particular worn enamel. And by the time you find out your dog's tooth enamel has worn down, it's too late to do anything about it. It's even difficult to tell if your dog has a fractured tooth....

I honestly just think it's not worth the risk.

13. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

Both my dogs have needed dental work - one was my fault (split a tooth on a bone) and the other not (developed with weak enamel that flakes off and needs filling). Broken, worn and chipped teeth involved exposed sensitive tissue, are extremely painful, and eventually lead to tooth death and abscesses. Despite the pain, you would not be able to tell from your dog's behaviour that s/he is suffering (maybe they'll favour one side when eating if one side is worse than the other, but that's about it). It is also absolutely true that you can't perform a full examination without sedation, so while you should do regular visual inspections you won't be able to see everything. So it's all about prevention. It's up to us to look after our dog's teeth, so I agree that it is just not worth the risk of giving hard objects to our dogs to chew on. I did it before I knew better but by that time my first dog had a split, bleeding tooth and worn teeth and he was less than 5 years old.

People often think that dogs have really hard teeth, harder than us. That's not true. The enamel (hard outer surface) on human teeth is up to 10 times thicker than it is on dog teeth. On dogs it can be only 0.1mm thick. Dogs have fragile teeth.

14. SwampDonkey

yep I,m careful with them too like you. my latest pup (Rory) destroys black khongs too his jaw strength is something to behold. He make his metal feeding bowls look like hand beaten pewter, I don't even use food bowls now.
    My female wore her teeth down on tennis balls ?, She is the only dog who has ever had tooth problems and she's never been aloud antlers.
    Rory is also a CWFO and has stomach problems and at one point antlers was one of the few things he could have to chew that did not upset him. When he was in pain he would furiously chew anything sticks concrete all dangerous stuff so the antlers were worth the risk. He does not use them much now but I have learnt that sometimes he needs to chew and destroy. This ties in which his tummy pain. If he needs to chew like this I watch him as it usually means he is having a bout of colitis.

15. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Finn is much more a chewer than his big brother Euan. Finn likes to destroy..... Chewed on my staircase and other things in and around our house. He is 21 month now and still in a crate. Our other labs, also his big brother Euan got out of the crate at 12 month.
    Finn has a need to chew. That is why we gave him a large black kong filled and refrigerated with all kind of different stuffings. He manage to empty the kong within an hour and still not satisfied. He is not allowed to chew on tennis balls because he eats them. Wooden sticks he find in the woods will be eaten, so we have always keep an eye on him! As I said I don't like him to chew on bones, that is why I came across the antlers. It is I think also no option. His teeth are shining white, has no signs of parodontitis.
    On the other hand Euan who is almost 10 has parodontitis. His gums are swollen and looks reddish. I will let them check with our vet when she is back from her holidays. I think it would be good for him to have something to chew on to clean his gums the natural way. He won't allow me to brush his teeth, not only that, he doesn't allow anyone to touch his nose or mouth. When he must have his vaccination of kennel cough it is a real struggle!

Finn on the other hand let me tough him quite easily. Never had problems with it.

Thank you all for your replies. No antlers for my dogs then, and I have to search further....

Annemarie

16. SwampDonkey

Rory's still in his crate during the night and a little during the day and he's about the same age. when he was 12 months old we let him stay out at night but he ate part of the washing machine after about a month. He's now back in his crate until we can be sure he's not going to it crazy stuff.
    Good luck with your search there's loads of stuff out there

17. Simba2017

Simba2017 Simba and Minstrel worn out Forum Supporter

I have given my choc lab now 5 years old them since she was a pup. I now have a 10 week old yellow lab and one of his favourite things to chew on is an old deer antler which has been worn down by his big sis.
    Lisa x