Delicate subject, ? Phimosis has anyone else had this problem with their dog.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Newbie Lab Owner, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

My Dexter has twice now had problems with his boy bit not going back after getting carried away with a teddy. Both teddies now taken away. Dexter was very uncomfortable the first time it happened and it lasted 20 minutes. My sister was looking after him at the time and said he was getting so distressed she called the vets but his pecker went back in before she finished dialling. It happened again last night but only lasted 10 minutes and went back as I was on the phone to a vet nurse friend. I have an appointment tomorrow at the vets but the receptionist was saying he is probably hormonal and neutering would help. Dexter is only nearly 5 months old and I'm hoping the vet will think of something else as he had previously told me (before this happened) that if we can wait until Dexter is 18 months - 2 yrs old, it's better. My husband and I want to wait as we may or may not breed from him. Has anyone else had this problem with their dog or have any advice please? I've googled the subject and it could also be caused by the hair on the tip getting caught or infection. Hope it's ok to ask this on here. Obviously if there is no other answer than neutering would we be being unreasonable to monitor him before we jump in and get him neutered?

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Of course it's ok to ask .....poor Dexter,no privacy here lad is there?
    I hadn't even heard of this ...I'm glad you explained otherwise I would have had to google the term before I replied ......not having any experience or hence advice I would say wait you see what the vet examination discovers ,there might be a simple solution and you don't need to consider neutering yet...
    If you look up some of the neutering threads you will be able to see there are so many differing opinions on it ,whenever and whyever you do it comes down to a careful consideration of the circumstances and what the expectations are of what you want to be achieved.Hopefully someone else will be along soon that has more knowledge.I tell you what ,you live and learn!

3. Newbie Lab Owner

Poor boy, he's not blushing though , yet!!!
    We will do what is best for Dexter, I know with humans, they can sometimes do a little snip (ouch, sorry guys). Hopefully, I'm jumping the gun and all will be well.
    Better to get him checked before my mind runs riot

4. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Wow you were brave googling that who knows what could've come up.

It happened to one of mine when he was a pup. I'm afraid to say the object of his ardour was not a teddy but his brother !!! I don't think it lasted as long as Dexter's and it only happened the once although he still had moments he took a shine to his brother. It could be something he may grow out of as his hormones level off he may be having a surge of testosterone at the moment. Hopefully the vet will be able to put your mind at rest.

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah let us know how you get on x

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I know nothing about this in dogs, but my best friend's son has something similar. There's a history of it in the males of the family, and his parents have pushed for an operation (all the guys have ended up being circumcised) but the doctors refused to do it at a young age and want to wait until he reaches maturity. Which seems so wrong to someone who has no idea - but surely doing it as a toddler would prevent years of discomfort and surely greater pain and embarrassment as a teenager?! Anyway, I digress.

Having done a quick search on Google (oracle that it is :rolleyes:) it seems that it's more likely to be paraphimosis, which is an inability to retract the penis, rather than phimosis, which is an inability to protrude it. I've read that a small operation is possible on the sheath, which enlarges the opening if that is the issue, and wouldn't require neutering. If the issue is with the local hair growth preventing retraction, then you can keep that clipped. There are also topical medications and ointments that can help! :p

From what I've read, neutering won't help. Paraphimosis can occur in neutered dogs as well as un-neutered ones. In fact, from (non-scientific) articles I've read, it's suggested that neutering can possibly even cause this problem.

The condition is considered a medical emergency when it occurs, because the penis can very quickly dry out and undergo trauma, or additional swelling, so you should definitely try to get it back in as quickly as possible if it happens again. I've seen it suggested to use KY jelly and latex gloves to manipulate it back in and, if that doesn't work, pack it in sugar(!!) to reduce the swelling. Obviously, consult with your vet about this, though.

Good luck and let us know what the vet has to say.

7. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

http://thebark.com/content/paraphimosis

In the link is the sugar remedy I've read about a couple of times. Very strange. No experience with this problem myself but please don't worry about posting subjects critical to your dog's health, or anything. Using proper language can really help speed up finding what a problem is and a diagnosis, cure and is even more important when speaking to your Vet. I too have read neutering is not a sure fire cure as the problem can be neurological and not sexual.

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My young dog had this twice and he found it very worrying! The vet's receptionist advised putting something cold on it to reduce the blood flow. I found it sorted itself out as the erection subsided. He obviously grew out of it. I had him castrated at 19 months, but the problem had long since ceased before then.

9. Newbie Lab Owner

Hi, thank you all, that's the one I meant snowshoe but by the time I got on here couldn't remember.

As for waiting until a child is more a man seems cruel to me. Much easier to get over on a youngster being circumcised than an adult. I've nursed both in my time and the men definitely agreed. The kids didn't think much about it.

I'm off to the vets at 17.10hrs as they've phoned with a cancellation. If Dexter needs antibiotics I'd rather start them sooner. He's OK in himself but I think he's still a bit irritated.
    Hope I don't have to cut the little tuft of fur off, I have benign essential tremor and my hands shake, he would end up being a girl or at least have a very high pitch bark
    I'll let you know how we get on and will take a look at getting KY in and also how to do the glucose. I think from what I read, the sugar helps release the dogs own lubricant, need to read it again, jet lagg hitting me hard. No more long distant holidays for me.

10. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Just thought to say, at not yet 5 months old Dexter is likely NOT hormonal. At least not what I think is meant by that for a male dog. He will have some testosterone in his body but the big surge won't come for some months yet. One reason so many Vets urge neuter before 6 months is to Prevent the surge of sex hormones. Now of course I should say when the big surge is but I don't know. Vets certainly give themselves a good window, if testosterone (or estrogen) started surging at 6 months they'd be cutting it close. I have read articles that say peak testosterone surge is around 11 months though.

11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

:D

The advice I read was, if you have to do it, use clippers because there's no chance of any - er - accidents that way :)

12. Newbie Lab Owner

Vet has given Dexter a thorough going over, he said he was still a little swollen but thinks that was more to do with Dexter finding the packed waiting room over exciting. Honestly, you'd have thought my pup had no training at all. He thought he was in playground heaven, totally deaf to me and acting like a hooligan! He was so happy to see everyone, every animal and was a total nutter . The vet has said to remove anything that gets him over excited at home, done that and that it may or may not be his hormones and may just be over excitement. If it is something that happens a few more times, he can give Dexter an injection that lasts for about 3 weeks but it would give us an idea as to whether neutering would help. The vet is up on the latest info into the pros and cons of neutering at 6 months or leaving until older but we will weigh it all up as what is best for Dexter as we monitor him.
    Sugar or salt solution can be applied as it then works to draw fluid down from the sheath to lubricate the penis by osmosis and help it go back in, I could also try cold compress. The vet said that salt solution is more favourable as sugar can increase risk of infection. Definitely not a tight foreskin as the vet was able to move it easily back and then forward, phew. Vet even got me having a feel so I know what Dexter is like when normal and explained the mechanics, which I sort of knew in dogs but understand better now. Will see how things go over the next few weeks or so and hopefully Dexter will calm down after his upheaval of us being away for just over 2 weeks, not having any off lead time during those weeks and has boundless amounts of energy. Happy to say Dexter's in excellent condition, loves the vet, obviously enjoys an audience and acting demented. I feel like I've done 60 aerobic classes in one day!
    Biology lesson over for today
    And I thought children were a worry, lol.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016