Desert Dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Dexter, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Just thought I would show you Dexter's little kingdom that is out behind our compound......it's the only walking area I can drive him to.He loves it there and Im probably more relaxed as I don't need to be in a state of high vigilance for non dog owning walkers!
    Here he is surveying his land:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/9271600187/

5 minutes in we come to a man made flattened area where they used to 'hide' the construction vehicles when they were building our place.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/9271624111/

Delighted with himself making off with an old dirty water bottle that he's found :eek:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/9274421548/

Posing nicely at the end of our walk when the sun has risen and its starting to get warm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/sets/72157634611417815/

His camouflage is good but he doesn't blend in as well as Caddie in the Lupins!I was going to tease you all and post just a desert scene and ask could you find him....but that would have just been mean!

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Desert Dog

He looks very regal, Angela! King of his domaine! And yes, perfect camouflage...

The wadi dogs (feral dogs) in Oman are mostly that colour. Sensible of you not to get a black lab!

3. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

beautiful, my photos are always a yellow blur! :p

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great pics. He's a beautiful boy, and really fit looking. Love that one with the rippley sand. Like the beach, but not exactly.... You must get some incredible sunsets.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

He looks great, in really great condition. Agree you've got the right colour lab - both for the pics and the desert...

6. Dexter

Ah Thankyou Julie,he is a beauty but then he's ours so we are inclined to be a tad biased ;D but appreciate the kind compliments on his behalf...he's sitting by my feet destroying a rubber tractor right now!

7. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Hi there, Lovely photos of the lovely Dexter. Just wonderd , does the desert get very cool at night ? and in the early morning ? Or is it constant heat ? Hope you get some relief from it , Maggiex

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Great Photos Angela , very colour coordinated ;D ;D

9. David

David Registered Users

Great stuff! That must have been very early as the sun was just coming up. He's a lovely dog. You must be very proud of him.

10. Dexter

Ha ha Kate,he coordinates with our lounge too !

Yes Maggie during the Winter Oct-Feb it does get very cold in the Desert...in our youth we did Camp but more often than not I ended up in the back of the car! ;D too cold for me!Mornings are ok temperature wise but I couldn't take him in the evening,the sand holds the heat too much and when the light is going I wouldn't be able to see him properly!
    How is little Mr Otis Cronk?bet he's growing fast and up to lots of mischief and fun x

11. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Hi there, Otis is really great thankyou, getting bigger, long legs ! Chewing and mouthing a lot. Its been hot here, and he has a little cool spot in the house where he likes to sleep. Gave him a water bowl in the garden and he splashed in it, hope this means he will like the water, he didn't mind his baths. Maggie

12. Dexter

Thanks David,he hasn't met a killer camel yet.....Lordy when we do! :eek:

13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh my!
    Killer camels? PIPPA?.....what does it say in the book about recall from camels?? - not got it to hand Lol ;D
    Seriously handsome boy :)

Jac

14. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Love these pics - that first one, especially! I honestly have a whole new appreciation of your challenges now that i'm here in Palm Desert. Wow, hot!!!

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Jac, the camel section is in Chapter 3, I think. Can't believe you missed that. ;)

16. Dexter

Phew,I'm gonna prepare.....just in case...... ;)

17. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

So do you ever meet other people and dogs there, Angela? It looks pretty deserted!! Ha ha DESERTed!!! ;D ;D :D

18. Dexter

That's the only downside to it Lisa it IS a ''Deserted Desert' !!!!I do see cars parked up there in the evening but I feel like its too humid to be out there then and the sand is actually quite hot to walk on,it's holds heat until it gets dark!

I put a picture of him on Facebook yesterday and quite a few people messaged me to see where we are,I have invited then along...there's just the small matter that I go at 5.30 am!Didnt get many responses!

It serves its purpose for being an excercise option I can use that I can drive to,we went to the park this morning and he had a nice walk and then a play with a lovely springer spaniel and a saluki....they did peg it into someone's back garden though :eek:.......returned swiftly though :D

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The mention of killer camels reminded me of "Fenton the dog" - that was a while ago now, and I'm sure you all had a laugh on the forum about it at the time. It was my inspiration to buy Total Recall!

Did you see the rehash for the 4G network ad though? I think there is a couple of camels in there somewhere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJXIOFVMD2w

Laugh?....

This morning, we had a massive "game on" on the common, 3 puppies from my puppy school turned up, then 2 black lab big boys joined in, a couple of terriers came to the party... Charlie came back to me when it was time to go! And I heard a woman scolding her dog and telling him "that's how you should come back" and pointing at Charlie. OH told me to shut up about it on the way home - too smug! But v pleased....

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Brilliant, well done Julie!